NBD: Mike Lull M5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p k, Aug 29, 2013.

1. p k

p k Supporting Member

I will let the pictures do the talking, this thing is pretty awesome!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. jon5252

jon5252

So what are your impressions on the sound of your lovely new bass? I am thinking about ordering something similar.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

That is really beautiful!
  4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Is that a chair? I like it.

Cool bass too!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. droskobass

droskobass

Disclosures:
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    AMAZING! bravo!
  7. p k

p k Supporting Member

I love it so far! I really haven't had a lot of time to play it yet but with a three day weekend on the horizon I plan of fixing that. I am probably going to put a new set of strings on it too. I will be back with updates.

The controls took me a min to get used to they are laid out like this:

Front Vol (push active/pull passive), Back Vol /Passive Tone, Mid,Treble/Bass, Mid Selector Switch
  8. p k

p k Supporting Member

So far I have to say that I really am enjoying the tone of this beauty. The bass that I am comparing it to is a Modulus Sonic Hammer that I have had for about 12 years that I gigged with thru college and this bass is much "flatter" in the good sense of the word and definitely more versatile. The modulus, even when set flat on the amp and on board eq is very "scooped" sounding with very clear and sizzling highs. This bass sounds much tamer with a more distinguished/rich/present midrange (which may be primarily due to MM vs Jazz configs). Of course having two pickups offer a great deal more flexibility than the single MM, and that is something that I really like about this bass as well. I will still probably put a new set of DR High Beams on it over the weekend to see how that effects everything but I think the overall profile will remain relatively unchanged. Overall playability is very good and with a little adjustment I think borderline best that I have played. Everything including the string spacing, weight, playability and build quality is top notch. The wiring inside the cavity is pretty clean regardless of all the stacked and push/pull knobs. I still plan on playing this one quite a bit over the weekend and giving it a run on my Little Bastard that should be arriving this afternoon. Overall I really enjoy this bass and can see it moving into the position of my primary player. At this point I am very happy with it.

Oh yeah, did I mention that it is HAWT! LOL
  9. BiggieSmalls

BiggieSmalls

Awesome... great looking bass. Curious what type of pick-ups does it have? I saw an interview with Bryan Beller and he stated in his he had Duncans but the writing had worn off. Not saying he wasn't truthful but his response was a little off.
  10. p k

p k Supporting Member

I do believe that these are the Duncan single coil custom wound pickups that are made for Mike (as noted form here). There are no identifying marks on the outside of the pickups and I have not removed one to see if there are any on the underside.
  11. BiggieSmalls

BiggieSmalls

Ok that's cool, thanks for letting me know.
  12. jon5252

jon5252

Thanks for the detailed answer, I am sure you will be very happy with it!