nbd-MIM Fender P Bass-need pickguard opinions please..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I just traded for MIM Fender P Bass in the arctic white color with white pickguard. Very nice bass, I think we both got the bass we wanted so all is good.
    I love how it plays, but aesthetically speaking, it's well.... a little devoid of color. The existing pickguard has a few deep pick marks from the looks of it, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to add a little bit of color to it. I thought of a solid color (black) but want to push it a little bit more and need your opinion on this. Thought of anodized gold as well.

I'm thinking of this aqua pearl pickguard... bad idea or do you recommend a different color? I'm feeling that my color judgement is not the best these days so aesthetically gifted bassists' opinions would be greatly appreciated. As a background, I'm not a conservative bass player- I appreciate the traditional vintage look but also not afraid to go a little bit glitzy. Hmm... this sounds like a personal ad.:meh:

Attached Files:

2. Maxdusty

I kind of like the look of the pickguard on this bass but I don't think it will work on mine as arctic white looks more of a cream color- not a brighter white like the one in the picture.

Attached Files:

3. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Tort would look awesome on that puppy, but so would something wild like your country's flag
  4. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

Buy a few...it's fun switching guards....i do it all the time...it makes it seem like you are playing a new bass. I like the one thats on it, mint would be cool too, and tort, white pearl, and black would be awesome..
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Maxdusty

I know there's Greasy Groove in Canada that has some pretty nice pickguards on their site. Didn't quite see something that would interest me, or I should say something that my wife would approve of. lol. Don't want to spend too much either. The aqua pickguard above is $14.
  7. Maxdusty

hmm.. mint might be cool. I agree I'd probably end up buying a few eventually- been some time since I've had a bass with so many pickguard options readily available in the marketplace. Most of my basses don't even have any.
  8. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

The one in the other photo you posted is not white, its sonic blue.
  9. Maxdusty

lol.. you're right.. I thought it was a shadow. Now you understand my color judgement being a little off.
  10. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Bass looks nice the way it came to you.

Aqua pearl = blech
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I second the blech to the aqua pearl. Sorry. Best colors to get for that are either white, black or red like DeeDee Ramone:

[​IMG]

Tort's OK but it's a bit overdone. I'm afraid TB has made me sick of tort ;)
  12. Maxdusty

Thanks guys.. I'm getting some good sense knocked into me. The aqua pearl is probably not the best color option after all.
    For a pearl, I'm probably going to look at sticking with white. Perhaps picking up a solid mint color - I'll have to look at the combo a few more times.

Not too hot on tort even though it might be the best looking option - that was unfortunately the color pickguard on my first jazz bass copy (which I hated because it played so badly) so it's not so much the color but the memory attached to it.
  13. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

What about a bass with black body? I think black and tort look absolutely fabulous. My goodness. Too bad my jazz is a Sunburst; white looks terrible with Sunburst.

By the way, nice bass! I love those solid colours instead of Sunburst or those things. I think white on white looks five enough. You could go for one of those pearloid ones.
  14. garp

garp

Something in anodized silver, brushed aluminum or chrome could be kinda cool.
  15. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Black Hawaiian print. Stay chill.
  16. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

This is the aqua pearloid on arctic white. Blech?? :rolleyes:

[​IMG][​IMG]
  17. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

18. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

White pearl, for when I want to get my Larry Graham funk on... :bag:

[​IMG]
  19. Davo-London

Davo-London

Are you sure that's artic white for starters because it looks quite creamy yellowish in the picture. It's a lovely colour though. Pearl white looks good and will have a similar depth of tone so it will look quite harmonious. Black is too contrasty in my opinion and is too bold unless you're playing punk. White works perfectly well and it brings out the yellowiness of the body colour, so there's nothing wrong with it.

Tort is old school and nothing wrong with that, but I think tort looks amazing on old Fenders but it has less impact on new shiny basses. It is quite a contrast and you are introducing a new colour and so you need to be happy with that.

Not sure grey (gray) and cream will look so good but I could be wrong. Grey is a cold colour and cream quite warm so it'll be one or the other, but there'll be no middle ground.

Available for any colour consultation : )
    Davo
  20. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

That's beautiful, but IMO, mainly because it has a maple board. I love that combination. But with rosewood like the O/P's, I'd go with brown tort. (Sorry Jimmy!) ;)
  21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With the abalone inlays on the neck, it's almost doable ;) But without them, sorry but I still stand by my opinion.