1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD - MIM Fender P...Oh What's This? A Sqiuier Body..?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, Jan 10, 2014.

1. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

The other day, a bass in the GC used section caught my attention. I made a thread about it because, from the picture, it was hard to tell what color the finish was.
    The general consensus was that it had been refinished. It made the most sense.
    So I called and some dude who didn't seem to know much said it was in pretty good shape other than a few nicks and dings. No big deal.
    At $300, (DiMarzio p/u and hard case included) and with GC's return policy, I figured I couldn't lose. So I went ahead with the purchase.

I got it in today and after giving it a solid once over and playing it for about 15 minutes, I have mixed feelings.

For starters, the body is from a Squier. And it's been refinished, somewhat poorly, with a cool (I think) metallic color.
    The neck plate clearly says "Squier by Fender" so I'm wondering if they were just ignoring that or only had honest intentions...
    Who knows?

Upon removing the pickguard, you could tell someone was impatient after the refinish, because the PG stuck to the bass in spots.
    Closer examination revealed that the body must've originally been a Squier P in LPB or something (see picture below).
    Otherwise, it was a little dirty, but the wiring for the DiMarzio looked okay.

Plugging it in, I really got into the sound. That DP127 is pretty sweet. So it's got that going for it. (Oh. And pearloid. Aw yeah.)

Anyways, since this bass was misrepresented, I have grounds to a return and a refund I'm sure. (Satisfaction guarentee? Yeah, I'm a little unsatisfied...)
    But I was just thinking about calling their store and seeing if I could get a credit or partial refund or something and just keep it. Would that be fair?
    I either want to see if I can do that, or just return it.
    Haven't made up my mind yet.
    I think I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for taking a minute to read/reply.
    I appreciate you, TB.
  2. unclebass

unclebass

Definitely a refinish, but not sure if it is a Squier. The MIM Fenders have that round nickel sized hole drilled into them under the pickguard. Might be a Fender with a Squier neck plate. Surely others with more experience on Squiers will be able to help you verify what you have there. If it is proven not to be a Fender, I would seek to get a partial refund or store credit, but you should keep it if you really like it. Basses that hit your sweet spot are sometimes hard to find.
  3. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Hmm. That's a good point.
    Would removing the neck to take a look at the neck pocket reveal anything?
    A date or seral number or something?
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I have seen the hole on MIMs but never a Squier but then again I have not owned a newer Squier in years.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

I could be wrong but I don't think they'd give you partial credit and let you keep the bass. They don't usually work like that. But maybe you get a really cool GC dude, who knows. It's def a unique looking bass. Bottom line is, you got a pretty decent bass and hardshell for $300. Not bad at all. And the dimarzios look pretty nice too. How does it play? Good neck? Plenty of truss rod left? If it has these things and you like the way it plays and sounds, I'd keep it and enjoy a unique bass. That's me though. If you know you're not really going to be happy with, take it back and get something else. I usually know if I like a piece of gear the first 5 min I play it. Pedal, amp, cab, bass etc..... If it ain't there it ain't there. Seems like you have mixed emotions about it though. So idk. What's your gut telling you?
  6. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

I've owned several Squier Js and PJs - never a P - and have never seen the CNC hole. I'm pretty sure that's a Mexican body and they just used whatever neckplate was handy.
  7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

That hole screams MIM. I've also never seen it on a Squier.
  8. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I bet if you pop the neck off there will be another hole like that one in the neck pocket, if so its for sure MIM.

Do it, go grab a screw driver right meow.
  9. petrus61

Might not. Not all of the MIM's have the CNC hole at the heel. The classic 50's Precision is one. In that case you'd be able to count the PG screws, but I guess that's moot cuz it's a refin.
  10. A-Step-Towards

11. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Yes sir.

The neck was a little stuck in its pocket due to the paint.
    Even left some residue on the heel...

[​IMG]
  12. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Looks like I was jumping to conclusions.
    Thanks guys!

After playing it some more, I realized I intially liked the sound because it was different.
    Now I'm a little iffy on that.
    It's kind of weird because it almost sounds like the tone is off when the knob is up and it just seems to lose most of the low end and get quieter when rolled down.
    As in...it would be pointless to ever have to tone down. I seem to missing some clarity when it's up.
    Maybe I should recheck the wiring.
    Strange.
  13. petrus61

I just popped the neck on my honey blonde to prove you wrong, but alas, you were right.

I'd be willing to bet one of my kidneys the 2013 50's body I sold didn't have it....

Damn you, photo evidence!
  14. A-Step-Towards

Boom!:)

Thats MIM. Why they used a squier plate is beyond me. Maybe they lost the fender one when they repainted it. With a hardcase you did good. Its worth more in parts then what you paid, plus the case is worth probably $50.

I only know because I have parted out so many damn basses in my life haha.

Last year they switched to nitro paint and not poly so it is possible that the 2013 ones dont have the hole.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

It would look pretty nice with a gold pickguard.