NBD - Modern Player Dimension

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mapleglo, Jan 2, 2014.

1. mapleglo

mapleglo Supporting Member

I ordered a new Fender Modern Player Dimension from Amazon when they were running the special for $293.21, and it arrived today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First impressions, I love it! I'm impressed with the fit and finish, the setup is almost perfect with a dead straight neck and low action. It may even be too low as I'm getting a little fret buzz. The intonation is slightly off, so I'll have to make some minor adjustments with the supplied allen wrenches. That in itself may raise the action slightly, enough to eliminate the fret buzz, but I'll wait a few days to allow it to settle.

This is certainly a $600.00 bass, and a steal at just under $300.00, with free shipping. This is my first white bass, and I very much like the color, especially with the maple fret board.

It balances very well on a strap, and weighs in at 9.5 pounds on the bathroom scale.

Plugged in to my Ampeg Micro VR, it sounds great, not too far off from a Jazz, but with a sound all its own. Three of the five rotary switch positions rock, with the outside two sounding a bit thin.

The only down side is the recessed output jack, which didn't allow me to use the angled jack on the cable. I'll post more impressions as I make the final adjustments to the setup and spend some playing time with it.
  2. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

congrats! looks great
  3. mapleglo

Thanks! It is a pretty good looking bass. Sort of like a precision, only not.
  4. unclebass

unclebass

Saw this bass listed at low price, but waited too long to pull the trigger! Price is back to $499. You got a great deal, new bass at used bass price, can't go wrong. Hope you love it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I really want one of these just for looks around, and it's in that very justifiable price range...

How do you find the sound? Any neckdive? The horn looks to extend to around the same point as a Jaguar to my eyes, which I find a little neck heavy, but I don't know if the body balances it out.

Congrats!
  7. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

Looks awesome! Not happy that I missed that deal though! Need to watch amazon more closely!

Congrats! Let us know how it sounds...
  8. Marcell0us

Marcell0us

Congrats, nice bass :)
  9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

They are awesome looking basses. Sadly they probably wont sell well is my guess and get blown out , at which point I will take a few.
  10. mapleglo

I like the sound - it's pretty bright, and it came with round wounds, so it has a bit of clank to it. It seems to balance pretty well. I didn't experience any neck dive when I put it on. The body appears to carry some weight to it, which I think gives it balance. Thanks!
  11. mapleglo

I happened to have been looking through the deal section here when I saw someone mentioned it. Now I check there every day.
  12. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

Where is this "deal section"?
  13. sears

sears

Like some girls, it looks better from behind imo
  14. mapleglo

15. mapleglo

I also like how Fender has shaped the heel of the neck where it meets the body. I seem to remember my old 70's Precision had a much more "squared off" transition in that area, making upper fret access a chore. This is a great improvement.
  16. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Nice Enjoy...
  17. mapleglo

Thanks!
  18. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

I got my hands on one of these, while grabbing some strings at the local GC. Boy, was I impressed. I did not get to plug it in, but it felt righteous, in my hands. Definitely gonna keep my eyes peeled for a screamin' deal.
  19. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

Went to GC today to meet a guy for a Craigslist sale.

While I waited, I had a chance to play this model in a red finish.

The neck was definitely the highlight for me. Really stable and comfortable, even with all the gloss finish on it. Reminded me of the CIJ Jag Bass I used to have that had a ton of clear finish, but still felt smooth to play.

The pickup was just ok for me. Maybe I wanted a true "tone" pot in addition to or instead of the 5-way selector, but it was still ok nonetheless. Only really liked the very first (bridge) position, and the second one was decent. Was able to really dig in back near the bridge and get some decent jaco-esque tones to come out.

The front 3 positions just sounded like a weak attempt at a Jazz Bass neck pup to me.

Overall, as far as playability, it's great. Sound, however, did not wow me in any way.

Still a great buy for the price the OP paid for it. I would spend the extra $50 and grab a regular new MIM if I was in the market at new prices currently.
  20. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

Thats a stupid deal!!!
    The local shop where my son takes guitar lessons has a 5 string version. REALLY nice bass.

My local GC does not have these

Congrats
  21. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

That's a fine looking bass and a killer price. Good luck with it!