1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Music Man StingRay 5 !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mastermold, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Always liked the looks and sound of the SR5 but the weight kept me from buying one. Seemed they were always 10 or 10.5 lbs and that was heavier than I wanted at this stage in life.

Then I saw this one at Sweetwater listed at a svelte 9 lbs even! I grabbed it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It arrived today, just finished adjusting the action and intonation a bit. Must say the necks on these are just wonderful and the tones I can get from just the single H pickup are fantastic. And despite its lighter weight it balances really nice, no neck dive. It's a keeper.
  2. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Damn, that is sweet. I remember seeing a guy playing a ray 5 straight through a mixer and PA the other day, and it sounded awesome.
  3. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    Great find! I wish mine was that light. Mine's just over 10.5 lbs. Still, not terrible.
  4. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Nice! I had a fretless 5H for a while but it wasn't my cup of tea.. I've been wanting to get my hands on a fretted 5H and that black and maple combo is just wicked!
  5. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Thanks! Yeah the black on black with maple neck is a classic look, I'm really happy with it. Never tried a fretless SR, bet it would sound good though.
  6. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Played this for several hours last night after posting this. Really digging the bass. I can see what some people have said about the narrow string spacing taking some getting used to for slapping, but paying more attention to my technique I was able to get along well enough and I'm sure it will only get easier. Overall I'm very happy with the bass, just what I was looking for.