NBD - My First Five

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gimp, Jan 6, 2014.

1. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

I've been an exclusive four string player for years, and for just as long I've been a P-bass player. I've been on the lookout, casually, for a 5 string or a Jazz bass. Not long ago I picked up an 80's E-Series Squier Jazz, but my guitar player's wife liked it more than I did, so it moved in with them.

Then, I read some great reviews here about the Squier Affinity Jazz V. Spurred on by the 10% discount and free shipping from Musician's Friend, I pulled the trigger. It just arrived today, and so far I'm totally impressed. The setup is pretty close, and it sounds great. This one might be a keeper, even if I don't know what to do with that extra string.

Going for a spin...
    [​IMG]

Meeting the family...
    [​IMG]
  2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I made up my mind to try a fiver before I turned fifty. I picked up a fine (Chinese) Peavey BXP. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of it and the Squiers (3) that I subsequently purchased and played. Truly amazing values.

I like the five in-line headstock on these. Let us know what you think after you live with it a while. The five strings are a slightly different species, but I found a couple that I really like playing. :cool:
  3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Well, now--enjoy it!

(I switched to fivers several years ago.)

Regarding what to do with the B string:

As an exercise in getting familiar with a fiver, take your favorite tune with a line that goes down to first position on the E string, and transpose it down a whole step.

Bada-bing! That's what I'm talkin' about.
  4. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

5. pfox14

pfox14

I just picked up a Fender MIM Jazz 5er. My first 5-string ever.
  6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

That's my fiver. A solid bass for sure.

To the OP, the Squier looks great. Congrats and enjoy the 5 string experience.
  7. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

The tuxedo, black on white look just wasn't working for me. I search around for what PG might fit, and most said the MIM 5 string "should" fit. Not finding what I wanted from Fender, I rolled the dice and ordered up a pick guard from Warmoth.

It arrived yesterday and I finally got around to putting it on today. The fit is "okay." The holes pretty much line up (with the major exception being on the lower side, next to the neck - it still went in, but at an angle), the pickup route is a little large (but hidden by the fact the bass is black), and it doesn't quite meet up with the control plate.

Overall, I'm okay with this. From a distance it looks just fine, and this isn't my main bass or an expensive bass. I'll take a few gaps over a plain jane look any day.

[​IMG]