1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD!! (new book day)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Waster, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Waster

Waster

Hey TB!

I've just finished my first session of 'Ray Brown's Bass Method'. I want to play bass professionally, and so am going right back to the basics, covering any ground I may have missed, and trying to build up practice time (I'm still at school, so have a pretty packed schedule. I'm trying to build up to six hours of intentional practice a day, on two at the minute).

Does anyone else have any experience with this book? It's technically for upright bass, but the exercises can be reapplied. I'm enjoying it so far, and hopefully I'll learn a lot over the next few months as I work through it.

Connor

2. Snarf

Snarf

No experience with the book. But I'll tell you something that almost no teacher or school or book will tell you: Learn as much music as possible BY MEMORY. That is so much more important than technique. Yes you need to have great technique for when you need it, but you say you want to be a pro. Start memorizing tunes NOW. I learned this the really, really hard way.

3. Bass Mentor

Bass Mentor

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Lava Cable, E&O Mari, Rupert Neve Designs
    I've owned this book since the 70's and it is a classic text...yes appropriate for electric bass too--excellent as it covers chords and foundational studies -- be sure to use 124 fingering on electric bass -- this keeps the hand balanced and will prevent you from getting and problems with musculature such as carpal tunnel etc...Go Slow as you will learn much from listening as you play-- be present with each note...
    Good Luck!

Steve