NBD: NOS? Essex (SX) Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIFJiggy, Feb 4, 2014.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Got this a couple weeks ago - but just got off the schnide and got it set up proper and played with a guitar and drums.

Before my review - I have to disclose that I am NOT a PBass guy. I've owned 3 before - 2 Squiers and a MIM. Never liked the way they play, but have been craving the change of pace in the tone. I'm a jazz guy.

So anyway - I got it in and it's in near perfect condition. Pickguard still had the plastic on it (Must have been sitting for a long time because Rondo hasn't offered this model in years- maybe a year anyway?) The only defect was some gloss smudge/imperfections where the neck meets the fretboard. you can barely feel it and even though it looks terrible when you look at it - you never see it from any angle other then when playing.

Stock strings were on and action was like a tightrope. Neck was perfectly straight. I threw a set of Fender flats on and adjusted the action to my liking. May replace the bridge - the E string was a bear to thread through.

So I plug it in and I was amazed. Two noteworthy items:
    1. This neck is not the typical baseball bat you get with a Fender(Squier P). It may even be more shallow than the MIM I owned for a few months.
    2. Holy shnikes is this pickup hot!

Playing through my PF-350 and double 210AVs I noticed a significant "roundness" and "thump" as compared to my Jazz (probably more of a characteristic inherent in any P design) but nonetheless, it was incredibly clean and fat. Combined with the fact that I moved around the fretboard almost as easily as my American Std Jazz - I'm thrilled!

Ran me 170 shipped off EvilBay. Ubelievable deal.

SX1.jpg
    SX2.jpg

2. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Nice! I just recently picked up an old headstock SX jazz bass that is in mint condition. They really are great basses for not a lot of money!

3. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

That looks really nice with the matching headstock!

4. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

I guess you ARE a pbass guy after all! Lol

Seriously though, nice bass. I am a pbass guy and I just picked up a sx jazz around Christmas, haven't played my pbass as much lately.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ejaggers

ejaggers

Congrats!!! nice looking bass............057912

7. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames Supporting Member

Gorgeous! Been gassing for an old headstock sx. Congrats

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Congrats!! And welcome to the club!!

9. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

CAR matching old headstock! Not a lot of those around! Congrats!

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, I picked up a used old headstock SX "PJ" 5er recently. Only it's got two jazz pickups! What were they thinking? So anyhow the plan is to put in a nice set of real 5 string P-bass neck pickups and a new pickguard to tweak that baby into a decent PJ 5er.

It also has a jazz profile neck, which I guess is OK but I'd prefer the wider flatter P-bass profile like my Squirer PJ has.

Just too many bass projects!

11. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Schweeeet!! I've been looking at the SX Pbasses of late hoping the neck was more Jbass like. May have to pick one up, or one of the PJs.