1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD!!! Now I went and done it...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rich McCoy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Ok, I found a KickAce deal on Craigslist...

TA DAAA!!! My almost new looking 2011 Blacktop P! :hyper:

Nice condition, not too heavy, actually feels lighter than my Blacktop Jazz. Build quality is tight. Pickups are a little buzzy but I'll open 'er up later. Neck is like new and pretty with a little bit of that cursed roundwound fretwear, grrrr.

And now for the crappy cel phone pics...
  2. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

Congrats! If those pickups are anything like the ones in my EB you'll really get a lot of useful tones out of it. Enjoy!
  3. voodoomagicboas

voodoomagicboas

Awesome!
    Congrats!
    Those pickups are double jazz pickups, right?
  4. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Nice score! Love those black tops.
  5. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

Congrats...looks like it will be a rock n roll machine.
  6. Mikio

Mikio

Awesome, I'm dying to get a Blacktop J with those sweet dual P's
  7. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Yep, they are humbuckers basically. It is a bit buzzy, and I noticed the output jack was a little loose. I am gonna go through it and make sure the wiring is all legit.
    Plays nice so far. The neck is straight and plays like a P...:smug:
    I have gotten a few different tones out of it so far.
  8. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Nice birdseye on the headstock.
  9. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

The whole neck has it!

Well I just opened up the electronics cavity and it was not for the faint of heart. If anybody wants to know what a rat's nest looks like then open one of these up! Ok it wasn't so bad, but there is a lot of extra wiring under the hood. The pickups are the four wire type, lots of potential here for the creative soul. The pots had a bunch of the pickguard plastic poking out all around the tightening nuts, and the nuts were pretty loose, I could turn the pots around in their holes easily with my fingers. I cleaned all of that up and tightened the nuts down good. So the electronics are all tightly in place now.

The more I play this the more I like it...:)
  10. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

mind my asking what you scored it for? Always interested in what people find on CL. Congrats!
  11. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

I have a Blacktop Jazz, and had to have it serviced right out of the box, due to the pots not being tight enough with the plate, which serves as the ground. All good now.

All I am saying is make sure everything is tight, including the jack.
  12. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Very cool I've loved these since they first came out.