NBD-NTM Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BeerSuds, Nov 12, 2013.

1. BeerSuds

BeerSuds

Went to GC yesterday to maybe pickup a Deluxe or VM Jazz 5 to complement the VM P5 I bought a few months back. Great bass for the coin.

Played and liked both and also tried out a used Cort Curbow 5 they had listed fro $199. Neck relief and action were way too high, but the finish was in great shape and I could see that I still had plenty of saddle adjustment left.

Being the holiday things were kind of hectic there and unable to make a decision, I left empty handed.

Over night I decided I was going to go back in the morning and pick up the Natural VM Jazz 5. When I got there I played all three again and something about the Curbow said buy me. I brought it up to the register to see if I could get a few bucks off and when they did the scan it came up as $99.99. I asked the sales girl if that was the price and she laughed and said yes. :hyper:

Took her home and took an hour or so adjusting the truss rod, action and intonation and now she plays great. Luthite body and all, I think this was the best 100 bucks I have ever spent.

Here's some pics. Acoording to the serial, it's a 2008...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

lol... you're the one that bought it.. Was going to call tomorrow morning as it was still showing up on the used page but was no longer available when I tried to buy it over the net. (I'm from Michigan). It was listed for $99. the price was more than tempting and renewed my interest in another curbow.
    But alas....
    That's a great looking bass. I've had 5 curbow basses to date all bought from various Guitar Centers. I bought 3 of them for around that price range ($99-120). The other two I bought for $160. (prices have since gone up, yikes!) Oddly enough, the cheapest one was the best of the bunch- an "ice crazer" four string in immaculate condition (even came with a hard case!). I don't know how they price these basses as they're all over the place- no apparent rhyme or reason. Ive seen them priced used at close to $290 also at Guitar Center, talk about a price variance.
    I sold all five of mine unfortunately as I had a compelling need to buy a couple of 49cc scooters for myself and my wife (hey, it was nice to ride around during summer).
    Always loved the shape and weight of the curbows though but the rationale was that I would eventually buy one of the curbows with two pickups and wood body at a later time when prices go down a bit. In retrospect, I missed having a curbow in my collection.
    Your $100 was definitely well spent as that color is the nicest one available and a five string at that. Great score!
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320

I get you

about luthite, well: do ya remember Ibanez Ergodynes?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1NrysIvjIM
    Paige Haley from Orgy: this is New Order's Blue Monday

And... by the way
    I own two Squier deluxe Jazz V with different setups...
    same ebonol fingerboard and midscoop switch

your Franklin is very well spent I think

Cheers,
    Wallace
  4. Maxdusty

Forgot to say one thing. Be careful of what strings you put on the Curbow. I wouldn't recommend putting a heavy gauge (or actually even regular) string set on them as the neck will bow easily in time, and you'll find yourself adjusting the truss rod frequently- they recommend lighter gauge strings.
    For a period of time, I had a number of Luthite basses- I had four different Ergodynes, the five curbows- all were pretty good sounding instruments.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BeerSuds

BeerSuds

Thanks guys!

Yup, when I came home and searched on here, I saw your link in that trade thread. When it came up as sold, I figured that was the one...

That was the first thing I noticed, the similarities to the Deluxe Jazz 5, except for the weight and nut width...:D

Thanks, I had the tech mic the strings for me so I could get the same gauge. They were 45-130's, so I grabbed some Roto 66's to try. I figure I'll keep the VM P5 set up with Chromes and the Curbow 5 with rounds. Hopefully they will be ok since the nut seems to be cut well. They'll definitely have less tension than Chromes...:)
  7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Dude, you just won the internet! $100 for that bass?!?! Shee-it, for $100 I would buy one of those just to hang on the wall and stare at! gjm
  8. Maxdusty

Looking at the pics again, it's in fantastic condition and it's absolutely beautiful. Why they would lower the price, one will never know but it went to a good home. You scored big time.
  9. BeerSuds

BeerSuds

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Fortunately she plays and sounds great, too...:bassist:

Thanks, I have found a couple of minuscule dings on the neck and head stock, and two of the little plastic washers on the tuning keys split, but it's easily a 9/10 finish wise and I still haven't shined her up at all. Too busy playing it...