NBD: one of the most negatively reviewed basses on the interwebs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Epi ebo. I can live without individual string height adjustment. The pickup is muddy but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Good frets. Setup fine after I changed the strings. Reviews on here and most other places online would have you think it's unplayable garbage. I disagree. This wouldn't be my choice if I could only own one bass, but i have no complaints. I wanted the black one. This morning when I called the store, the nincompoop I spoke to said they had it in stock. Turns out he's a big fat liar so I got the red one and they took 50 bucks off for my trouble. Damn fine bass.
    [​IMG]

2. DannyBob

DannyBob

I could manage with the EB3, but not having a bridge pickup and only a muddy neck pickup...? How can you manage?

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

It's really not much different from the real ones aside from pickup. When I owned one I inspected the pickup and it turned out to be a guitar pickup of some sort with every other pole trimmed off (with cutters) at the top, leaving the remaining 4 poles.

Playability wise, they are every bit on par with every Gibson version I've ever tried, from 60's to current models.

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

If you want to fly off the handle doing some crazy mods including tossing a new bridge pup in, this would be a pretty decent victim. Cheap but apparently built well enough to perform adequately.

At least I would mod it to hell and back if I had one...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

I think it's a decent bass for the price. Who said it wasn't?

7. Justice

Justice

Disclosures:
    The bass rescuer...
    i found one of these in a pawnshop for $100. Still had the plastic on the pickguard and pretty much looked new except the nut was broken and the bridge was starting to pull out of the body.

Fixed the nut and the bridge ($5 woo) did a setup and had a very easy to play bass. The volume pot crapped out on me so I replaced the pots and cap. (another cheap repair)

It's a good sounding little bass and very easy to play.

8. Milk

Milk

Been tempted by the EB-3 but definitely could not deal with just a neck pickup.

9. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

One of the first bass sounds I personally got that I liked was one of those into an amp (brand forgotten) with the tone wide open, the high-mids cranked, and the gain not quite cranked. You could say I rather like them. Enjoy the bass OP!

10. awilkie84

awilkie84

First thing you do with that? Pull up the tail piece & glue it in. The press fit will surely come loose soon. Mine did on my EB-3L. I returned it.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats! These look cool. Hope it rocks when you use it.

12. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Always thought that having a jazz pickup routered into bridge would be cool and not cost much to do it either. Could make some nice tones.

13. Gorn Captain

I kinda like it as is and I've never done any major mods. A buddy of mine has a soldering kit for repairing cables. Mayer I'll try swapping a pickup with him. It seems the Demarzio model one is a popular replacement. I'll see how it sounds in the rehearsal studio before I spend any money. Maybe I'll change the tuners too as it seems they're not all that effective with minor adjustments.

14. Gorn Captain

Bolt on. The gibson sg I used to have was set neck.

I thought they'd be similar but they feel and sound completely different, and this one is significantly heavier. But it's still very good for $150.

Edit: quoted you too soon.

15. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Nice little bass there. My local shop had the two pickup long scale model for 99 bucks about a month ago and I'm kicking myself for not buying it. One of the few electric basses that didn't feel like a fender clone when playing it. Good candidate for a pickup replacement I'm thinking. Google some of mike watts basses and see some serious mods haha.

16. electracoyote

electracoyote

NP, thanks, I should have done a quick google search sooner. Cool bass nonetheless, I love this configuration.

17. Gorn Captain

The long scale two pickup model was my first brand new bass. I don't remember exactly why, but I hated it. Returned it shortly thereafter.

18. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

+1

I pulled a brand new EB-3 off the wall at my GC, and as I was playing it the bridge pulled right out. The strings all went completely slack at once. Freaked me out. :bassist:

An easy fix. Some Titebond and put it back in.

19. JustForSport

JustForSport

"Lifetime Warranty"- Good for life...
    Sorta like a Wife???

20. ghostfather

ghostfather

I knew this would be an e-b0 thread.

21. Gorn Captain

Well that's scary. I have super light daddario nickels on it for now so maybe it'll survive as is.