1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Peavey Forum (surprise find)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chubrocker, Nov 7, 2012.

1. chubrocker

chubrocker

I got this Peavey Forum in a group purchase. I just wanted the amp, but had to take the bass too. I've been a big Peavey fan for years, but I have only owned higher-end Peavey basses (in fact, looking for trans black TL-5). I think this is mid-90's model. It is in great condition--need to find a truss rod cover. I finally got new strings on it to fully test. Me likey!! Not sure I'll keep it or not yet, but it is making me consider starting a USA Peavey collection.

[​IMG]

2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Got one in black. Has a nice "broken in feel".

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I bought a PV Axcellerator 5 string in 1996. I still love it.

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

This started for me earlier this year when I picked up my first US Peavey, a Millennium 5 Standard. I don't have that one anymore, but have 4 others, and I look daily for new ones. The fact that I can own 4 high quality, American made basses that all sound and play great, for less than $1000 total is mindblowing to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

That's how it starts. You buy one for short dough, are amazed at the quality, then are further amazed at the prices on the used market. I started out with a T-40, and now have 20 Peavey basses. Only one (a B-Quad) cost over $400.

7. ack

ack Supporting Member

Great find!!
    I have the exact same Forum (color combo anyway) - mines a '94.
    Best neck I own, and I'm having custom P/J's made for it as we speak.

Like others have stated, this is how the US Peavey obsession starts - you find one for real cheap and you realize that it's just as good as some higher profile gear.

Like smcd, I started with a T-40 (an '81) and now I own more than I need, but I keep looking every day for US Peavey's. Old Foundations & Furys are the bomb.

8. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

Nice Score !

I started with a Foundation S, last count I'm up to 15 ! :smug:

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

You then start consolidating down to the rarest of rare

10. jasiu913

jasiu913

Not too long ago I added a first year Foundation to my collection, all original. Way too much fun...

11. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

is there somewhere that shows what models Peavey made and where they rank in the hierarchy of "niceness"?

I was at GC the other night, and they had a few nice Peaveys.
    1. A Forum. Looked nice, had never see or heard of one before. I checked it out, but dismissed it. It was cheap too.
    2. A foundation 5 string. Looked to be the same era as my 4 string, and it was the same color...and had the same color hardware. They wanted 250 bucks for it. It told they were insane because I wasn't sure they cost that new and there was a 1 inch gap between strings and fingerboard at the 12 fret. I offered 175 since it might break when I tried to fix it and they said they couldn't go that low, but I should pay 25 bucks for pro coverage in case it broke.
    3. Axcelerator. I've been lusting after this since I left the store. It was sunburst with a pickguard that looked like the old Fender Jazz basses, gold hardware. Was less then 300 bucks, but I need another bass like I need the divorce it might have led to, so I begrudgingly let it go.

I think the Axcelerators are higher end (?) and the Foundation is one of those "in the know" deals that you either get lucky with (like I did) or you realized they were putting out something cool when you first saw it and bought one. I've also seen Furys and Millenniums and I honestly don't know which ones I should jump at given the opportunity.

Help a brother out and drop some knowledge on me?

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The Axcelerator is a great bass, and if it's in nice shape, $300 or less is a decent price.

A list of Peavey basses ranked from best to worst will be somewhat subjective, but in my opinion - from best to worst:
    Cirrus (US)
    B-Quad
    Millennium (US)
    Sarzo Signature
    TL-5/TL-6
    G-bass
    Palaedium
    Axcelerator
    Dyna-Unity
    Dyna bass
    T-40/T-45
    Foundation
    Forum
    Fury
    Forum P/J
    B-Ninety
    Patriot

There are a few other models I've never had first hand experience with, such as the Midi/Cyberbass and the the odd specials like the Jack Daniels and DuranDuran model. I didn't include them.

13. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

that is exactly the info I wanted. Thank you so much for that. I will probably regret not getting that Axcelerator for a while to come, but I don't think I can justify the cost right now.

Is there somewhere I can look up info about the various models? When I googled "Axcelerator Bass" I didn't get much info that wasn't in a talkbass posting.

14. ack

ack Supporting Member

Interesting ranking. I'm interested where you would you put the RJ-IV in that list.

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I knew I was missing something. I'd put the RJ-IV just above the Dyna-Unity.

16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The only place you'll find in-depth info on Peavey basses is on TB. Peavey offers free downloadable manuals, and you might find a review on Harmony Central, but TB has the best hands-on feedback on these models.

17. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

I recently got a RJIV and now too have the fever. I played a T-40 and loved the sound and feel. There is a sunburst Fury local I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on.

18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

YES ! Peavey basses are the best value! I have 2 Furys, a Foundation and a Foundation S, and would love a Forum like you have. I had an RS Bass (passive pre-Rudy Sarzo model) and should never have let it go - huge stupidity on my part. I let my Milennium and 2 Cirrus go because the 35" is getting hard for me. Miss 'em!

19. gard0300

Almost forgot the pic.

Attached Files:

20. gard0300

Ended picking up the Fury as well. 165.00 with HSC. Pretty much in great condition. Color is a little odd for the Fury, but I think I like it. Maybe a black pickguard in its future. Not sure yet.

Attached Files:

21. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

That's beautiful in the burst, IMO.

Congrats.