NBD!!! Project Proto.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rich McCoy, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Well here is my newest entry into the NBD world.

My fretless Fender Jazz! :hyper:

This started with a early '90's Fender MIM "Squier Series" Jazz body and a late '90's MIM Precision bass neck.
    I defretted the neck recently:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/defretting-71144/index22.html
    and put it onto this body with some round wounds and a neck shim.
    I have to admit I like it. I had planned on using flat wound strings on it, but all I had was rounds to test with. But after playing it I have to say it sounds good, better than the flats would of sounded.
    I love this body with the Strat knobs and that one piece pickguard.
    The only problem with the body is the tone knob does not do a great job. It does nothing until almost all the way down, then it finally hits. I may replace it with a mini-switch and an Orange Drop .022uF cap...maybe.

GO BASS! :bassist:

2. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

About your tone pot, maybe you have an audio tapper pot where there should be an linear tapper pot?

3. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Perhaps, I forgot to look closely.

4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

I'd also like to make a suggestion about the tone knob.
    Instead of removing it and putting a switch in, add a rotary switch with multiple cap values and a bypass (as in no cap.). Those switches use the standard knobs you use on your bass, So no visuals changed!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Yes I have done something similar on a different bass before. I wired a cap in parallel with the existing tone pot cap. Normally it would be a .022uF, flip the switch to another .022uF cap and it equals .044uF.
    Fun stuff!

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Nice work, Rich! However, won't roundwounds eventually dig grooves into the fretboard? I've heard of some fretless players try to get a "best of both worlds" sound and feel using either ground-wounds or pressure-wounds.

8. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

It's back to flats. I have some very well used Chromes on it now but it will get some Fender 9050's soon, or maybe some GHS Precision Flats.

9. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I took the '92 Jazz neck I had on my Blacktop Jazz and screwed it to this body ('94 Fender Jazz "Squier Series").
    Much better bass now, nice and light, and it sounds cool with rounds which is what these PuPs need.
    Plays well and I am thinking this is a real keeper now. One of my favs.

Attached Files: