NBD : PRS Paul Reed Smith..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svtb15, Mar 4, 2014.

1. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Just wanted to share some pics of a cool bass that i picked up today..
    A guy that i know had to move it fast, i had an offer that i could not refuse
    She pretty and plays great.. Sounds full and still has snap ..
    I dont see many of these around. .So i figured that i would share some vintage history..
    This will be going to Jimmy Coppolo bass collection..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Jackson171

Jackson171

That's a good looking bass. How does it feel and sound?
  3. swood_de

swood_de Gold Supporting Member

Love those old PRS basses! Totally under-rated.
  4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

why's one knob different???
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Great score. I found a red one of those in a second-hand shop in St. Louis around 10 years ago and it played and sounded so amazing that I was almost willing to risk the wrath of she who must be obeyed. Wish I had.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Nice one...from the first or second run, I believe. I had one from the 3rd run, the 2 pickup Jazz inspired one. It had really beautiful low action and great playability. I always wished it was one of the original 4 coil models like this one.
  8. Guinness20

Guinness20

got excited because I thought t was going to be a grainger.
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1
    Totally underrated. Beautiful, well made, great sounding basses. Here's mine -

[​IMG]
  10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

beautiful congrats
  11. swamp2

swamp2

Nice looking instrument. Are they really underrated, or are there just too few of 'em around for a reasonable consensus to develop?

Based on nothing more than appearance and knowledge of the manufacturer, I think I'd be pretty pleased to have one!
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

For some reason a lot of players didn't like them. They were a set-neck bass built by a guitar manufacturer. And they were expensive. Personally I don't know what's not to like about them. They have a deep, boomy voice with good definition.
  13. BurningSkies

The one I had was really frustrating. For the list price of 2200$ it was pretty stripped down (no fancy top, rudimentary carve job vs. other PRS, one piece neck), and while it played like a dream, it was a tonal mess, especially with the preamp engaged. The preamp was a 'set eq curve' and you had the basic V/V/Passive tone roll off and that was it.

Again, it played great. I couldn't switch out pickups due to the shape and size of the PRS ones, and I thought about switching the preamp, but didn't want to ruin its originality. I ended up selling it.

For 2200$ you could get way more bass, which is probably part of what killed the line.
  14. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    The bass is extremely punchy.. The switch activates the preamp that is bass and treble..
    It has some really different tones. Very unlike any fender bass or gibson bass.. But more jazz bassish if the middle and Bridge Pups are used..
    Teh NEck and Bridge pup give it almost an Alembic bass tone
  15. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Many people say they have a deep or boomy voice. Im not sure about others but this bass is not that at all.. Maybe more Alembic-ish but not as hifi.. But then ya see so many people that when they have a bass with a preamp, they DIME the EQ knobs..:rollno:
    Thats stupid!
    In passive mode it does some nice tricks. and has its own voice. Throaty mids like a p bass but more focus.. The Neck Pickup is weird.. Again it sounds like an Alembic Series 1 bass with only the front pup on.. Ive had a few Alembic series 1 bass over the years so im familiar with that..

This one was real cool.. And way under 1k.. It was a steal... The guy had to sell for something else.. It was the 1st of the month and i jumped.. I looked them up on Ebay . and could nearly 3x my investment if i were to flip it..
    im gonna keep.. Might be cool on some session.. .

The guy brought it a gig that i was on.. I tried it and thought it may have a balance issue since im so used to Fender style basses that have the top horn over the 12th fret..
    Nope, its fine and only about 8.4 pounds. With a nice medium C profile neck.

Yeah i think the boomy idea came form people that just DIME everything.. .Ive seen kids do that with Musicmans too.. Sound like poo when you do that.. But to each his own..
  16. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Thats nice...
  17. BurningSkies

The initial runs I believe came in a couple flavors.

As did the later ones (like the one I had, and there was a previous issue without a preamp). The later ones were indeed boomy and had an exaggerated deep low with the preamp engaged. The preamp also scooped some of the mids and boosted the very tipity top end. With a single passive tone control.
  18. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Are you talking about the ones that were made in the mid 2000s with two BLADE type Pickups? The two jazz style ( but look like the old 80s YAMAHA BB3000s Blade J pup )?

Attached Files:

• 4-8.jpg
      4-8.jpg
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views: