1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Rickenfaker Content!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yakob, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Yakob

Yakob

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Courtesy of JMac4strngr!

Set neck, purpleburst finish. Sounds great! Probably closest I'll ever get to the real thing :(

Not that I'm really complaining. Like I said, this thing sounds great, and plays great. Not to mention that it looks cool as hell.

:bassist:
  2. I Can't Dance

I Can't Dance

Nice find, Yakob!

I have always loved the shape of Rics - and that is an awesome color!
  3. Yakob

Yakob

My dream is to one day own a Ric in Mapleglo... As well as a blue one with a rip-cord, a la FLCL. :p
  4. hibachiduck

hibachiduck

5. Yakob

Yakob

Yeah. He hooked it up with some fresh strings and a set-up before sending it my way. I'm super stoked to have it. :hyper:
  6. hibachiduck

hibachiduck

Sounds like him. He's a great guy.
  7. FatherG

FatherG

The one on the left is a Dillion - the one on the right I'm in the middle of building.

Attached Files:

8. Yakob

Yakob

Nice! I was considering for a while making a Rickenbacker-style body, but bolt-on, with a Fender J-Bass neck, but I honestly don't have the money or technical skill.
  9. JMac4strngr

JMac4strngr 4th degree Slacker Supporting Member

This is one cool bass. It actually has some cool things about it that are different from a real Ric, that I really loved (upper binding that wouldn't cut a hole in Your forearm, and a wide but extremely "fast" feeling neck). Enjoy!
  10. FatherG

FatherG

The walnut bass is actually a bolt on too. The neck and electronics are all from an Ibanez SRX200 ( I believe that was the model number ) bass with active pickups. I modified the headstock a bit and made the TRC out of a piece of spanish cedar off an old cigar box - trimming it to fit around the tuners.

I picked up the bass cheap ($30) on Craigslist - it was supposedly dead, but was simply needed to be re-wired.

Attached Files:

11. FatherG

FatherG

BTW - who made yours?
  12. Yakob

Yakob

Mine is of the newer line of Rockinbetters. Tokai imports them (to Europe), but beyond that, no clue.

And this is a mockup of what my hypothetical bolt-on Rickenbacker would look like:
    [​IMG]

Just throw in some mini-buckers in place of the standard Rick PUPs. (along the lines of the lawsuit Ricks from the 70s).
  13. FatherG

FatherG

Mine will actually cost me about $125 in parts (new strings, some drill bits, knobs, bone for the new lefty nut and other stuff). I was lucky enough to be given the piece of walnut that I paid a cabinet-maker $20 to plane down to the thickness I needed.

If you have a bud with a shop, you should give building a try. I do have woodworking and guitar refinishing experience, but the WalnutBacker is the first body I've ever made from scratch.
  14. Yakob

Yakob

I'm good at the wiring aspect of it. I could probably even cut out the body properly (I do have some experience). But as soon as you get to things that need real precision on a smaller scale (bridge, neck pocket, pickup routes), that's when I'd find someone to help out :p