1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Rickenfaker Content!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yakob, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Yakob

Yakob

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Courtesy of JMac4strngr!

Set neck, purpleburst finish. Sounds great! Probably closest I'll ever get to the real thing :(

Not that I'm really complaining. Like I said, this thing sounds great, and plays great. Not to mention that it looks cool as hell.

:bassist:

2. I Can't Dance

I Can't Dance

Nice find, Yakob!

I have always loved the shape of Rics - and that is an awesome color!

3. Yakob

Yakob

My dream is to one day own a Ric in Mapleglo... As well as a blue one with a rip-cord, a la FLCL. :p

4. hibachiduck

hibachiduck

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Yakob

Yakob

Yeah. He hooked it up with some fresh strings and a set-up before sending it my way. I'm super stoked to have it. :hyper:

7. hibachiduck

hibachiduck

Sounds like him. He's a great guy.

8. FatherG

FatherG

The one on the left is a Dillion - the one on the right I'm in the middle of building.

Attached Files:

9. Yakob

Yakob

Nice! I was considering for a while making a Rickenbacker-style body, but bolt-on, with a Fender J-Bass neck, but I honestly don't have the money or technical skill.

10. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude Supporting Member

This is one cool bass. It actually has some cool things about it that are different from a real Ric, that I really loved (upper binding that wouldn't cut a hole in Your forearm, and a wide but extremely "fast" feeling neck). Enjoy!

11. FatherG

FatherG

The walnut bass is actually a bolt on too. The neck and electronics are all from an Ibanez SRX200 ( I believe that was the model number ) bass with active pickups. I modified the headstock a bit and made the TRC out of a piece of spanish cedar off an old cigar box - trimming it to fit around the tuners.

I picked up the bass cheap ($30) on Craigslist - it was supposedly dead, but was simply needed to be re-wired.

Attached Files:

12. FatherG

FatherG

BTW - who made yours?

13. Yakob

Yakob

Mine is of the newer line of Rockinbetters. Tokai imports them (to Europe), but beyond that, no clue.

And this is a mockup of what my hypothetical bolt-on Rickenbacker would look like:
    [​IMG]

Just throw in some mini-buckers in place of the standard Rick PUPs. (along the lines of the lawsuit Ricks from the 70s).

14. FatherG

FatherG

Mine will actually cost me about $125 in parts (new strings, some drill bits, knobs, bone for the new lefty nut and other stuff). I was lucky enough to be given the piece of walnut that I paid a cabinet-maker $20 to plane down to the thickness I needed.

If you have a bud with a shop, you should give building a try. I do have woodworking and guitar refinishing experience, but the WalnutBacker is the first body I've ever made from scratch.

15. Yakob

Yakob

I'm good at the wiring aspect of it. I could probably even cut out the body properly (I do have some experience). But as soon as you get to things that need real precision on a smaller scale (bridge, neck pocket, pickup routes), that's when I'd find someone to help out :p