NBD: Rooster Precision Bass clone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stealth, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Several years ago, a local supermarket chain started shipping electric guitars right around Christmas time, and a few people from my university bought a few for kicks - they could've been had for about 50 USD, and surprisingly enough, the woodwork and machinery weren't that bad at all, in fact they played nicely and were a killer modding platform.

Fast forward to today, I snagged this beauty for barely 100 USD.

[​IMG]

A Rooster Precision bass in red (I promised myself I'd get a red bass eventually), with 20 frets, what I believe is a quilted maple fingerboard and a maple neck, no idea on the body wood, but it's quite solidly build (read: it's slightly heavier than my first bass), and common V/T controls. and mono jack. I checked the neck at the store (the sales clerk was nice enough and she opened the box at the store so I could inspect it, normally a rare thing at supermarkets) and it seems flat enough.

When I got home to test it, both controls worked, neither pot was crackling, the volume knob was a bit wobbly (the plastic inset wasn't snug, so I wrapped it in paper and it stuck properly), the strings are new, intonation was done in under ten minutes... it works and sounds like a decent enough P-bass. Further setup is due tomorrow, but if I'm lucky it'll respond well to the setup and might become very, very smooth to play (not that it's that hard to play now).

And yes. It's going to get the life modded out of it.

On a related note, is the neck really quilted maple? I don't know what else it might be (it definitely isn't rosewood :D), but it feels nice under the fingers and I find it looks really good.

[​IMG]
  2. Gbass75

Gbass75

You got this at a SUPERMARKET?!? Where do you LIVE, dude?!?!?
  3. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Headstock looks like it could pass for a lakland
  4. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

Looks like a figured maple fingerboard to me. Very nice.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Beautiful neck & board, also the btidge looks real solid. Throw a gold or tort guard on there, maybe matching headstock! Nice grab
  7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

+1 on all counts

Gold pg would look great on there, great vintage vibe. love the neck figuring, and a freaking steal for 100 and some change. good show, sir
  8. Stealth

Croatia, a country in central EU. The supermarket chain (Konzum, same word root as consume or consumer) is owned by a magnate who has built quite an empire in the past two decades.

While the instruments are likely MIC, I must say the quality pleasantly surprised me. The sustain is really great unplugged. I don't think a tort pickguard would look right, but gold might. Then again, with the planned mods for the bass (the pickups I planned) I'll likely need a different pickguard anyhow.
  9. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Looks pretty sweet actually, especially the neck. the detail is awesome. Can we have more necks pics?
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Wow! I usually prefer rosewood boards, but THAT is something special. Bro-hoof to you on your excellent catch! :D
  11. Thumpking

Thumpking

12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

13. Thumpking

Thumpking

14. Stealth

Yes, you can!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*brohoof*

You might be right, it may well be a rebranded Xaviere. And I've heard they aren't half bad.

The only imperfections I've found on the bass are in regards to the pickguard, some uneven sanding on the edges and around the pickup cavity, so thin threads of plastic are unraveling (most likely left over from the cutting process).

On the upside, I think the neck pickup cavity is a bathtub rout, so that means if I get to mod it, I can plonk any pickup in there, so I may do a reverse Precision pickup for the mid position, and, well... something extra for the neck and bridge.
  15. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

wow, neck pocket actually looks pretty tight. cool beans :cool:
  16. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

When you purchased it did the other basses have the same fretboard and neck? I would give you some money to buy one and ship it out west! Congrats on the new platform!!
  17. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Hell, your supermarket has better basses than my local Guitar Center.
  18. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Thats just sweet