NBD: SBMM SUB RAY4 MINT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Picked this up today...a dang bargain for under $300 ! This bass plays and sounds great, and I dig the color....gonna be a good all-purpose gigging bass.

Sorry for the crappy pic.... :/

Attached Files:

• 1aa.jpg
      1aa.jpg
      File size:
      683.9 KB
      Views:
  2. spaz21387

spaz21387

looks just like mine. If you are looking for a good pickup thats nice and cheap the guitarfetish humbucker is pretty good. It make a big difference in mine. I have sound clips if you want to hear it...
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I'm getting one delivered tomorrow same bass/color. Had to have it shipped to Michigan from Tennessee (Guitar Center) as all they had at my local GC is the satin black finish which I wasn't too fond of. Seems like this mint green is selling pretty well, took some time to find a GC that still had them.
  4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Amazing basses for the money IMO.

Congrats!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dark Horse

I know on the MF website they show Mint as being backordered till April !

Congrats...it's a cool bass, especially for he money.
  7. Dark Horse

Thanks !

Yeah, HUGE bang for the buck
  8. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

I'm waiting on delivery of a satin black 4 string. I can't wait.
  9. pudgychef

pudgychef

Congrats...they are really impressive in bang for the buck dept
  10. NAVET

NAVET

I'm waiting, not so patiently I might add, on delivery of the Satin Blue model RAY4.
  11. RxFunk

RxFunk

Sweet bass man, congrats. Easily one of my favorite color combos for a Ray too.
  12. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

I saw two black satins in GC earlier this week. Very nice look, and pretty sweet basses. I'm tempted myself

/rick
  13. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

I played one of the black stain ones at a GC yesterday and I have to say I was duly impressed. The neck felt really nice and it sounded very good, even though the action was high (no reflection of the quality, of course, just typical with GC). I also played one of the maple necked black fives and really liked it as well. The only downside of them was the strings. It's amazing what quality of instrument you can get now for around $300.
  14. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Very nice looking bass! Does anyone know if the blue one will be available up here in Canada?
  15. Maxdusty

Just got mine via ups today- bought it from GC here in Michigan but they didn't have the mint green one so they ordered it from the GC in Tennessee that still had two of them. To answer the post above, the mint green is available only through GC and Musician's Friend. It's an exclusive color of the Subs for those merchants.
    Mine is set up perfectly, just had to tune it. Action was super low, neck perfect - no problems whatsoever. One thing I noticed is they include an inspection card attached to the bass with the names of people who put together the bass so you know who did the finish, the electronics, the setup. I think this accountability helps keep quality of these basses up as you know who worked on it. Want to add that if at GC, make sure to ask if there are any ongoing discount promos going on, I got $25 knocked off the price- I didn't know if there was a promo but thought I'd ask anyway. I have to say without reservation this bass exceeds any of the other basses I've had or tried within this price range in terms of quality and construction. I now want to pick up a five string with walnut finish (not available through GC but available at Amazon)

Edit: Hmm.. It does look powder blue in the photo, but in actuality, it does have a green tint to it, just not coming out correctly due to crappy phone camera.

Attached Files:

16. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Very nice! I noticed on the MF website that they also have a satin blue and a satin black finish. Are those also exclusive to Guitar Center and Musicians's Friend?
  17. Maxdusty

I don't think so... I see them on Amazon as well.
    I think it goes something like this. Other places have them of course, but just comparing GC and Amazon. Attached is a picture of the honeyburst finish available on Amazon but not at GC . Looks pretty good too, very nice...hmm...;)

Sub 4
    GC
    white rosewood fretboard
    black maple
    walnut satin rosewood
    black satin rosewood
    blue satin rosewood
    mint green maple

Amazon
    white rosewood
    black maple
    walnut satin rosewood
    black satin rosewood
    blue satin rosewood
    honeyburst satin rosewood http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Musi...qid=1388700412&sr=1-22&keywords=sterling bass (also available at MF)

Musicians Friend
    All colors available - mint green currently out of stock till 4/2014

Amazon both options also available at MF
    Black maple
    Walnut satin rosewood

New in 2014-Honeyburst avail. Feb 2014
  18. Dark Horse

This is a really fun to play, great sounding, super bargain instrument...it'll definitely get a lot of gig time with me !
  19. ChelleGame

ChelleGame

I got mine 3 weeks ago. I put a fresh set of EB slinkys (45's) and it plays great!
    It takes a set up real nice too ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388963814.369106.jpg
  20. EdgeXXL

EdgeXXL Supporting Member

Earlier this week I picked up a new Sterling Ray34CA model at my local GC for $325. It was on clearance and I had to look twice to make sure it was new and not used. I found out later in the sterling thread that there were only 100 made in the color (2TB). This particular color was only made for GC. Don't know why it was on clearance other than the volume knob was missing.

These are extremely well made basses that sound killer.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  21. marko138

marko138

LOVE the mint and maple. Gonna have one some day.
    DwaynieAD likes this.