1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD (Schecter)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shlogo, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Shlogo

Shlogo

On Friday I was heading to GC to pick up a set of strings for one of the guys, and when I was there I saw this bright orange bass hanging wayy up top.
    It was a Schecter Stiletto Elite 5, used going for $300.
    When I first got my hands on it the center bridge saddle was screwed up enough to pop out of the bridge.

After spending about an hour and a half with it I knew I had to have it.
    I loved the feel, and the sound (despite DEAD strings).
    To me it was well worth the price, and I was able to talk them down to a $10 setup/new strings

All in all a good.

And as is demanded, pictures (though crappy cell pics) for your viewing pleasure:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. LightGroove

LightGroove

Enjoy! These are nice basses. I would recommend upgrading the preamp to an EMG 3 band when money permits. Really opens up the options.
  3. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

nice bass. it's a shame they discontinued them in '11.
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

good call. the BQC is a good choice. that mid sweep offers up a whole lot of tonal options.
  5. Shlogo

Shlogo

I did not know the Elite model existed until I found this, and was corrected my a fellow TB'er.
    I thought I was a Studio model, as it is neck thru.

Upon doing some quick research I found this to be made in '02
  6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

I paid $600 for one of those, new, in 2007. They called that finish "honeyburst". Frankly, I liked the Elite tone with the 2-band EQ better than the 3-band EQ on the "Studio" that was hanging next to it at GC. Best damn 5-string in the store that day for less that $1500. I ultimately decided that the string spacing was too narrow for my right hand (though it was really friendly to my left), but a great sounding/playing bass for $600, and a steal at $300 if it's in good condition.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I have the Studio-8 with the three-band. I was just complaining about the tone in another thread, while praising the bass overall.

I think Schecter gives incredible value for money. They're really underrated. Congrats Shlogo on a great find!
  8. Shlogo

Shlogo

I enjoy the tight spacing for my style, though slap is slightly more challenging (or popping I should say).
    But that is what my other bass is for.

As for the condition, it has normal wear on the finish, which i would expect from an 11 y/o bass.
    When i first got it home the input jack was slightly loose, but after taking a peak into the control cavity, it was an easy fix.
    And all the electronics were neat (the wires all tied together).
    It stays in tune and the action is nice and low, w/o fret buzz.

Over all, it is an unexpected treasure for me and I am crazy happy with it.
    Glad my vocalist is trying to learn guitar and asked for some strings!
  9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

whichever 3-band EQ they had in the studio was not that good, IMO. it was too mid-foward, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but the mids sounded "box-y" to my ears and it couldn't be EQ'ed out. one of the reasons i got rid of mine.