NBD! Scratch the TP-12 off my Bucket List!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sj_bass, Oct 24, 2013.

1. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

Well, persistence has finally paid off... About two weeks ago I received a PM asking if I'd be interested in a Waterstone TP-12.

Me (drooling): um, yeah?

The gods were listening and two weeks later, it's here! It's been unused; bought brand new about three years ago, used once or twice, then put away in the closet. So, it's gonna need a setup and some new strings but damn, it's gorgeous and so much easier to play than my Hamer CH-12...

Of course, following the rules... No pics, no bass. So, for your viewing pleasure....

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382652662.798305.jpg

Now, if only I can find that elusive 4001S...
  2. rickwebb

rickwebb

Got a 4001s. Love it.
    AND a Galveston 12-string too...
  3. StevieMac

StevieMac

More pictures required!
  4. woodyng

woodyng

LOVE the mots red! I am considering an 8 string version of this guitar, how do ya like the pickups? I have a 4000 set neck Ric,so keep looking for that 4001s,they're great basses!
  5. Basshappi

Basshappi

THIS!
    Congrats!
    And oh yes, I'm jealous! :D
  6. sj_bass

Ok, these are from the seller... But they're better than any pics I've got so far...

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382738213.064460.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382738229.101795.jpg
  7. sj_bass

Yes, I waited for something other than black or burst (I have plenty of basses in those colors as it is)... The pickups are very average, and will be replaced by some hand-wound Ulyate Instruments Super Singles - as soon as I let him borrow the bass (which may be a long time from now).
  8. sj_bass

Just a quick follow up - or review I should say...

Wow. I've been playing a 12-string Hamer for the past six months and everything I dreamed about with this bass is real.

The Les Paul shape is comfortable enough to play near the neck or down close to the bridge. Passive electronics are spot on, allowing me to run all of my effects (compressor, distortion, etc.) without having that active eq squeeze. The pickup switch makes for great new sounds, too...

The string spacing is just wide enough for me to play comfortably without those errant notes that would happen on the Hamer. The action is a little high, but that's ok for me since I tend to pick pretty hard.

The neck still dives, but not as bad as the Hamer, mostly due to the 32" scale. This also makes for slightly less string tension. Also, the neck shape is flatter and not as chunky as the Hamer neck, making it very comfortable for me to transition to a 4-, 5-, or 8- string bass and then back as needed.

Bottom line: For a 12-string, this bass plays like an angel and sounds like the devil. Bucket list reduced by one.
  9. woodyng

woodyng

That answers several questions i had about the bass. I like a wide,but shallow neck,like the ones on my RIC 4004's. I prefer passive electronics,as well. I was concerned the les paul body shape might be a bit too chunky feeling as well,since i prefer a more stramlined type body. I am still pretty intrigued....
  10. sj_bass

Woody, based on your comments I would caution you to stick with the newer version. Some of the first basses they made were 34" scale, with a 2" :eek: wide body.

I would also add that I use a 3" wide strap with a suede liner that provides a little extra grip on my shoulder. It does help support the bass and keep the neck from diving.
  11. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

The prototype of these latest Waterstone TP 12 string bass series was a 32" scale but with the 2" thick body. I have one and it sounds like a monster! In a good way.

The current run have 1.5" thick bodies and 32" scale necks and are lighter, which helps with a 12 string bass. I have the green MOTS just like yours, and it is my favorite of the two.