NBD-Sort of a Bass(guitarron content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Jan 4, 2014.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

I know it's a thing of it's own, but it's still a member of the bass family and the guitar family so I guess that makes it ok.

This thing is large and in charge, there's a standard P-bass there for scale.

Any thoughts/comments regarding it's age and/or value are greatly appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Curious where you will find strings.
    I have always thought these were cool, look forward to learning more about them as well
  3. leadfingers

leadfingers Two decades of lead guitar before finding my way. Supporting Member

Don't know anything about them.
    But it sure looks cool. :bassist:
  4. spade2you

spade2you

ZOMG, 6 string fretless. Prog metal? :p
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowphatbass

Strings are readily available online. Generally they're a hybrid set, 3 metal wrapped strings and 3 gut/nylon strings. This actually had strings on it when I got it but they seemed to be as old as the instrument itself.
  7. lowphatbass

Judging from the wear on this thing somebody's been yanking on it quite a bit over the years!
    [​IMG]
  8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Be sure to shine a flashlight into the hole. There might be some wildlife or a hobo living in there. :D

Geez, that sucker is huge! You could canoe down a river in it while using the P-Bass as a paddle!
  9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Guitarrons rule!
    Congrats.
  10. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Super cool. I had a chance to play one in an antique store of all places! What scale length is yours?
  11. lowphatbass

Oh trust me, I did. Nothing inside but a nice old repair and a maker's tag.
    This one is 27".

I live in an area with a great deal of Mexican heritage and I know there are a few Mariachi bands around. I'm hoping to find out how old this thing is once I get it restrung and sorted-out.
  12. DogBone

DogBone

I have nothing to add other than to say it looks really cool and I'd love to know how it plays/sounds once it gets a good set of strings.

Congrats!
  13. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

New sig time!

Cool guitarrón, OP. I'd like to try tuning one of those to standard 6-string bass tuning sometime.
  14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Wow, I'm flattered! Thanks, Hamlet. :D

That's the second time someone's called one of my little missives "sig worthy". This and my "Elvis" crack below which someone suggested I use for just such a purpose. This could become a disturbing trend.
  15. spade2you

spade2you

And playing the guitarron in the upper register. :bag:
  16. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note. Supporting Member

Actually, that's where you pluck it.
  17. billiam5billion

billiam5billion

Come to my local Tex Mex joint here in Houston sometime and watch a dude put on a clinic for playing that thing.
  18. lowphatbass

In the second picture, although it's hard to see, the fingerboard has some fairly deep grooves. If this was a BG I'd be looking to do some epoxy/resin fill work. Being that the action is somewhat(a lot)higher on these things I'm going hang back for a bit until I can make an informed decision.
    Initially I knew this old dog could be a basket case and I was even considering removing the top, adding some blocking/bracing and converting it into a short scale ABG. Now that I've evaluated it it's actually pretty solid, and not knowing how old it is or what it's value is I'm respecting it for what it is.
  19. Draculea

Draculea

Having observed the technique, guitarrón is played with root notes and often doubling the note with the first string to give the sound more depth, which is if I recall correctly, as thick as the last one. It's part of how it's played. I'm no mariachi, but I currently live in Mexico and I have observed how it's played several times, and it surely gets a lot of wear in the "upper" register area. I'd love to have someone teaching me how to properly play one of those, only did it once and my efforts were fruitless and clumsy to say the least.
  20. lz4005

lz4005

I've wanted one for a long time, but haven't ever found the right one at the right price.

The tuning is interesting. Starting at the open A of a standard tuned bass, it's ADGCEA with the A closest to your feet an octave lower than you'd expect. Which makes sense, because they're playing octaves 90% of the time.
  21. spade2you

spade2you

Was making a joke about the OP saying someone was yanking it.

Now do people get it? :D