1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD. Squier Affinity Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g4string, Apr 15, 2014.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

$179, shipped tax free from Musicians Friend. Gotta say, I'm thoroughly impressed with this bass. If you replaced the decal with a modern Fender decal, you wouldn't be able to tell it was a Squier. Fit/finish is damn near perfect. Best deal in bass land right now.

[​IMG]

2. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames

Beautiful! I have an affinity p/j that use as my back-up, sounds good and built well. For the price they're tough to beat. Squier has definitely stepped it up lately.

3. JacEntBerry

JacEntBerry Supporting Member

Squier has come a long way. Used to be even Rogue Bass were way better

4. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations! And thanks for posting the photo and your opinion. They look really nice!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pentatonic

Pentatonic Gold Supporting Member

Looks fantastic, enjoy!

7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Sure is pretty. Congrats! May she give you years of happy bassing! :bassist:

Orangeclawhammr likes this.
  8. Diamond_Dave

Diamond_Dave

Just got mine in the brown burst, but that Lake Placid blue was tempting. It sure is pretty. I'm pleased with my Squier Affinity j bass, too. Congrats!

9. Ironbar

Ironbar

Totally agree. And the funny thing is, every once in a while I head over to my local GC or other guitar store to try out other basses. When I compare my Squier VM Jazz to its $1,700.00 Fender counterpart, I STILL like my Squier better!

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Might do a few mods, but it ain't broke. So it don't need fixing.

11. marko138

marko138

GOTDANG! That sucker is HOT.

12. stratovani

stratovani

This thread is giving me GAS! Think I'll pick one up this summer. I'm thinking of converting it to a stack knob setup like the original Jazz basses.

13. Brookmichael

Brookmichael

I grabbed a Burgundy Mist one last year and I love it action nice and low and sounds pretty good with green silk fender flats on it. The finish chips rather easily but I kinda like that sort of thing. great buy!

14. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Great looking bass! I have a couple of these in the 5-string version (Sunburst, Metallic Red). They are what I reach for when I want a great passive jazz bass tone for the last several years. They punch well above their weight in tone & playability. HUGE bang for the buck return. Congrats - LOVE that color too! I hope they throw a few of these new colors towards the Affinity 5's soon.

15. KingKrabb

KingKrabb

I've gotten it into my head recently that I wanna make all my main basses be Squiers. Like, start with them and mod them if need-be. Kinda like a testament to the fact that, even though they are inexpensive, they are quality. (Especially the newer ones).

I already have a beat up Affinity P that I'm gonna mod. And will be getting a VM Jazz in the next few months.

You could say I have something to prove; you could also say I'm just broke.

You'd be right on both.

Also, Happy NBD, man! May you enjoy this new J!

Malak the Mad likes this.
  16. marko138

marko138

Just want to state again how awesome this bass look. I NEED ONE.

17. Ibycan

Ibycan Supporting Member

Media:
    I have always had the mindset that if the bass plays and sounds like you like it then the brand does not matter. That's why all of my basses are Squire.

18. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

+1. When trying them out in the stores, the Squier CV line especially and also many VMs consistently slay the Fenders of any country of origin. It's a good thing that people don't shop blindfolded, otherwise Squiers would be selling for a lot more than they do (and Fenders for a lot less).

19. xring

xring

Love the color on that one. I now have 3 Affinity fives. Black, red, tobacco burst. All sporting Fender logos properly applied. Very, very nice for the money. Not my main bass, but useable for prac, back up etc.

20. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Nice bass! Although I don't own a Squier, I would have one as a backup and as an experimenting template for mods and stuff.

xring likes this.
  21. JOME77

JOME77

I totally agree! I picked up a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass V a few months ago and I continue to be impressed. I've replaced the std. string tree with a Hipshot model (so I wouldn't have to feed the string under it), replaced the knobs with some nice black metal knobs and installed new pots (V-B-T), installed Dunlop strap locks and I totally love the bass! Best playing Fender style bass that I've ever touched. I'll probably eventually replace the feed-thru bridge with a top load but other than that I'm done.