1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Squier Affinity P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElmRealmRider, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ElmRealmRider

ElmRealmRider

a photo with the rest of the family
    [​IMG]

I got this bass for free from my friend thats moving and she said she hasnt touched it in forever and didnt want to keep dragging it around with her. This bass is actually built well and plays quite nicely for how inexpensive they are. the only problem is the pickguard is broken so the jack sinks in.
    now i want some opinions. should i just ghetto rig this with duct tape and make it my punk rock bass, or should i get a new pickguard ( i'm leaning towards gold). i got some dr nickel lo riders, how do you guys feel about those with a p bass, i havent used them and wanted to try them. in the future i may go full blown mod and throw a mudbucker in the neck and darkstar in bridge ( kinda wife meets tractor bass). any help from other affinity users that changed pickguards would be helpful because i know you cant find any that fit and have to mod them.
  2. FineCatsNCigars

FineCatsNCigars

I used this exact bass for the first album I worked on. I was contracted by a band who didn't have a bass player to write the bass parts for their already finished EP, and then later, their album. They're great basses.
  3. FreeBassJunky

FreeBassJunky

Score! If the bass didn't cost you anything, why not spring for a new pickgaurd? I would.
  4. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

I think before you spend money on the bass you should do a "fast repair" to the pickguard and a proper setup (and maybe fresh strings!), then use it for some time to see if you like it and then spend some money on the bass.

it's just my opinion :)

PS. and also keep in mind that sometimes fender or aftermarket pickguard don't align properly with the holes of the squier bodies.
  5. ElmRealmRider

ElmRealmRider

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but i dont think you read my post. i just bought new strings, dr nickel lo riders, obviously im going to set it up after i get those. and i know theres no aftermarket pickguard that fits properly and i was wondering if anyone has any info on a decent gold one that would be the easiest to mod to fit. but i ive always wanted a totally messed up beater bass (i think they look cool, dont judge), i wouldnt mess it up on purpose just years of abuse would do that, and a duct tape jack would be a good start
  6. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

How is the neck?

I have an AFN P that I modded the crap out of, in fact, the only original parts left are the neck, 3 of the tuners (added a drop D), and the body. It was worth every penny because the neck is one of the sweetest necks I've played. The crappiest part on an AFN is the PG, and the one I put on (a 3 ply parch) was a perfect fit. So I'd do the PG in a heartbeat if it were me.

I also modded a Bronco, and turned it into a Musicmaster, but the neck is no where near the quality of my AFN P.

7. ElmRealmRider

ElmRealmRider

the necks actually pretty killer. its wide theres a good amount of space from the string to edge maybe a bit too much, but i dont mind wider necks. where did you get the pickguard from?

edit: maybe im just tripping cause i just measured the nut width and its 1 5/8th which isnt that wide. either way i like the neck
  8. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

I don't remember who I got from, but it was off ebay. I also recall a thread here awhile back on drop in mods for squier.
    You may also try the "Tricked Out Squier" club for some answers.

While you're at it, get an ashtray too.
  9. MakoMan

MakoMan Supporting Member

I had the exact same bass and got a pickguard from Dragonfire for $11. It fit perfectly and looked great. For that model they have virtually every color of pickguard.
    The Affinity basses get a bad rap IMHO. They are excellent basses for the price.
  10. msact

msact Supporting Member

I had one of these for a while and bought from Dragonfire also. At some point they changed the affinity squiers to use a standard P bass PG. The only thing I had to do was shave around the pups a bit as the affinity pups are just a bit larger than a P bass.
  11. ElmRealmRider

ElmRealmRider

So i went on a limb and bought a 10 hole anodized pickguard off ebay and it fit. with a little bit of filing around the pickups and the tiniest bit on the g string side of the neck. theres one hole that doesnt match up at all that im going to drill out (its between two screws on the original), but besides that it works. just for future reference if someone inquires i have a chinese model affinity serial # cy1111**** and pickguard part #0992020000 PG 57 P Bass Gold Anodized. I'm not 100% but i think my bass was made in 2001 and sold in 2002 because it has a 20th anniversary squier neckplate.
  12. marko138

marko138

The Affinity P's can be real gems. I have one that I paid 55 bucks for and it's easily the best playing bass I've ever laid my hands on. The neck is unreal. I threw a Steve Harris pup in it and a BA bridge and it just kills.
  13. ElmRealmRider

ElmRealmRider

[​IMG]

after new strings and a simple setup she plays just as good as she looks