NBD: Squier Cabronita!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowbrow, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Received from Sweetwater on Friday, came to rehearsal last nite - Ay Caramba! Very nice, indeed - arrived perfectly set up as I've come to expect from the seller very full sounding and IMO the Fidele-Tron is a nice alternative to my usual P while not venturing into the mud zone. Was a bit freaked at first as the pole pieces on the G are a noticeable way off, D-ward in alignment, but after repeated close listening I can detect no way in which the sound is affected. So, big deal.
    I will switch out the pots for CTS ($26 from Stratosphere on ebay, maybe $30 install from my local tech) so I count myself ahead vs. the Fender version by nearly $240. Digging it!

EDIT: Weighs 8 lbs. 6oz. - perfect and thanks to Derek at Sweetwater for calling me when a bass that met my make/weight specs arrived.
    I credit the belly contour as saving some weight as opposed to the Fender version slab back.

[​IMG]
  2. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  3. BassmanM

BassmanM

Congratulations! How is the neck? Chunky?
  4. Grissle

Grissle

I notice your E is way off the edge of the fretboard and the G is in the opposite way. This may have something to do withe your pup alignment problem too. Might be able to fix it by adjusting the neck in the pocket.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

+1

That's the first thing I look for when bass shopping...the string alignment at the high end of the neck (near the body). I like to see the distance between the edges of the fretboard and the E and G strings to be identical.

Grissle is correct. The owner needs to slightly loosen the bolts that attach the neck to the body, and slightly change the alignment of the neck/body so that the strings are centered over the fretboard.
  7. Lowbrow

^ I honestly think that's unnecessary. I am a tinkerer, but only if I feel there is a problem. Aside from the pup alignment, which I credit to the slight difference bridge-ward in placement vs. the Fender, this bass is as tight as a drum build-wise. I'm only switching the pots out because it's a cheap upgrade and I might as well.

As for neck profile, I'd call it medium C and in my hands identical to modern Precision.
  8. Lowbrow

On second thought, I will do that. Easy, and as it might help it will certainly not harm :). It would be aesthetically pleasing to have the G pole in line.