NBD Squier CV Jazz (I opened the box with lots of prejudice!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Actually, I've had it several days but wanted to avoid the "I just opened the box and it RAWKS!!!!" review. I took advantage of Best Buy's Fender sale and got a new Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz for 265.00 shipped, including tax. I didn't need it, it was an impluse item. Eh, I'll try it.

The fit and finish are the same quality as the Modern Player basses I have handled. After going over the finish with a fine tooth comb, I can't find any issues. The frets are good, it had a good setup right out of the box. It weighs 10lbs.

I've seen mixed reviews on the tone, but I'm really pleased with the stock electronics. I was thinking they would be about the same as an Affinity I own, but it's a different (better) animal.
  2. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Everytime I've tried out a CV Jazz bass in the store, it has been the best jazz bass if not the best bass there. One of these days, I'll have to get one, as they seem to be great instruments, and not just "for the price".
  3. cba_bass

cba_bass

Mordecai and the Rigbys is the best fake band ever... :p
  4. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

CV is the way to be.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I have a Rickenbacker 4003 that I cherish so I got a used CV 60s P for $175 shipped off guitar centers used site back in March to use for practices at random places and some gigs. Well its not a lesser bass to me 4003 and hangs with it regularly. I will admit I love squiers and have played many shows with squiers but after awhile I kept wanting a "fender" neck and in the end I couldnt justify a "fender" neck on it because in reality I just wanted the logo, the necks on these are killer.

I have said it before and I will say it again,the Cv's just have a nicer fit and finish then MIM Fenders from before 2008. Any Standard MIM fender pre-2008 just feels like junk to me and I have owned 20 or so. I love the CV series.

Mine is pretty modded but the main parts , the tuners, bridge, body are all original.
  7. pudgychef

pudgychef

Congrats - the CVs are really good...loved all three I have had
  8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

My CV Jazz doesn't get used much these days, mainly because it's fantastic neck is on my main bass (also a Squier). In fact I almost brought another recently, just for the neck.
    I can't see me ever needing to buy another jazz bass again though, the CV does it all.
    I have modded mine but didn't do it straight away, and other than the dislike of the 20mm string spacing at the bridge it never really needed modding to be my main gigging bass.

Not sure why the surprise though, these basses have been a round a few years and get almost universally praised whenever they are talked about. It's old news......but good to see it's not wavering :)

Congrats.
  9. bh2

bh2

Yes... they're great basses alright.
  10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I have gigged with this bass twice this month and have recieved unsolicited compliments on the tone. It plays great. I didn't think the finish on the neck would be an issue but sometimes it is sticky. Rather than sanding I think I may polish and buff it.
  11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've heard a few people talk about using Scotch Brite pads to do exactly that.

And yeah, I gotta agree…the CV Jazz does rock it something fierce!

I got one back in April, just when Best Buy started dismantling their Musical Instrument departments. It turned out to have never been brought out of it's original shipping box and never hung up as a demo model.

My mistake was trading it (I was under the delusion that I had too many basses…I must've been in some kind of fugue-state or something:bawl:). Certainly, the trade was more than fair, but it was that pinch of regret that got me keeping one eye open for another one. So when I spotted one on Guitar Centers used database, with case and mis-labled as a Vintage Modified, I pounced. So now I have another and it makes me very happy. :D
  12. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

The 60's CV Jazz is a great bass...but that photo-tort guard is UGLY!
  13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I know I may be in the minority, but I agree. As a former illustrator, I find photo-tort awful. That's why I swapped mine out (and am selling it, along with the superfluous thumb-rest) for a black/white/black guard held down with black screws.

(Oh, and for the record, the guards made for MIA Jazzes are a 99.5% perfect fit, if you don't mind the notch at the neck-heel for truss rod adjusting)

Now, if Fender put out ACTUALLY TRANSLUCENT tortoise shell-style pickguards, that would be a beautiful thing.