1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD - Squier Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3234718, Jan 31, 2014.

1. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Despite my repeated failure at fretless, I decided to try again. Came across this used one in GC. Looked good, and sounded great. Powerful but not noisy pickups. It has the slightly raised fret lines that these normally have, but it plays fine. I spotted what looked like a newb employee and talked him down considerably on the price. I still stink at fretless, but man it sounds so good. Hopefully I'll be motivated enough this time around to keep with it. The harmonics really sing on this one. My goal for the weekend is to learn portrait of Tracy. Some of it at least.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

those are cool.
  3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Love mine! Looks good, sounds.good. The slight bumps in the fingerboard have never been an issue for me, and certainly not playing live.

Enjoy!
  4. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Looks good! I've got that neck on a VM Precision body. My small and gnarled fingers really like the slim Jazz neck (40+ years of twisting wrenches have taken their toll). I'd put flats or tapes on it (probably La Bella white tapes), but that's me.

Kudos on giving fretless another try. I think it's the most fun you can have with your pants on.
  5. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Nice. I kinda want one of these too. A friend has the p bass version and it has the bumpy fretlines too. It's fairly thin material though, so I'm guessing it'll wear down with play.

Good luck with your fretless endeavours! I recently picked up fretless again and am really digging it, although my intonation still isn't the best. It's a great way to challenge yourself to play differently (if you're only used to fretted).
  6. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

I have one of those I bought as my first fretless too. Fun bass and aggravating at the same time. I remember the first time playing it I said to myself, "wow I suck".
  7. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Very cool I love these congrats!!! so it has bumps one the fretlines? I've never seen that before.
  8. 3234718

The saddles were bottoming out so I shimmed the neck. Now it's good to go. I'm digging the sound of the solo'd bridge pickup with the tone all the way off. That's the Jaco setting, right? Or was his tone turned up? Whatever it is, it sounds good.
  9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Yeah, my preference is tone almost closed and the bridge pup rolled off a bit. Bitey, but still thick. Jaco-esque, but sticking out a bit less in the mix.

I'm using a shruti box/tanpura/tabla app on my phone to provide a drone while I'm practicing scales, scale patterns, arpeggios etc. Practicing with a drone is great for intonation. The Indian music apps are just a bit nicer to listen to than a sine wave :)
  10. 3234718

That makes a lot of sense. Good tip.
  11. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I almost got one of these, but the fret lines kept me from dropping the action where I wanted it without buzzes at certain positions.
  12. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

A good tip indeed. Will likely try it at some point, thanks :)