NBD - Squier Jaguar Special HB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garyth, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..? Supporting Member

*those that frequent squier-talk will already have read this**

Made it here in two days. I know, sight unseen, unplayed, web purchase. I really think I lucked out and won't have to send it back, feels/looks like a keeper.

I did the whole visual thing. Everything looks straight (where it supposed too :D ) A couple of small scuff lines from handling that you can't see from 3" away. I guarantee you it'll have worse from me within a week, I ding everything I get my hands on almost immediately. I think it's one of those "worry about it so much that it happens" things. I've come to accept it.

So, I went about tuning it up, only off a little - probably for shipping. Action slightly high, relief looks ok but may need tweaked once I set the action and intonation .. yep, intonation is off on two strings. (post note: all set up, settled right in)

Sound is different then I am used to. I really liked the tone of the Epi SG I sold to get this, and my SX SS has tapewounds on it. This one is brighter on the whole but the 3 channel eq really gives you a good range. It should mellow out once I get some decent flats on there. I'm just not a well-rounded kind of guy :D

now some pics (sorry for the pics, only have a phone).
    The plastic is still on the pup and pickguard, I'll remove when it starts to fall off.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Very nice. I have one of these and I even though I love how the jaguar body looks, it feels uncomfortable to play standing. I thought I would like the active circuitry for the extra power but I feel like I have it on 1/2 volume most of the time. The tones are range from thumpy P to wide open jazz but the neck is too skinny for my tastes and unfortunately I am thinking of getting rid of the thing.

3. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..? Supporting Member

Thanks for the observation. I guess not many people interested in my off-the-shelf basic bass, but I like it and it's the first new instrument I've ever bought.

I tried it sitting and standing, feels good for me. And I personally like the skinnier neck - To each his own, right, that's why they make so many types/styles of bass. The single biggest plus for me as far as body style is concerned is that it's balanced and light - unlike the Epi SG I had.

Figuring out the EQ to get the tone I want will be hardest, can't seem to dial them the way I want to hear it. Might be the strings, I'm just not into rounds and they are likely a cheap set anyway.

4. NAVET

NAVET

I know this is an older post but was curious if you ever found what you were looking for? Did you swap out strings or leave the initial set on?
    I ask because this bass is on my short list for purchase.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oweng

oweng

heya - i bought this bass - a little while - month or two ago-

i decided to change some things just because the price tag allows this-
    i put on new peg tuners - the stock ones are okay- but sloppy and - i just changed them

strings - i just got those yesterday - harris rotosound -amazing
    maybe too heavy for this bass - but it is a pain to set up -

the nut had to be cut on the D wider to fit
    i added a tiny shim under the neck today, like,,,,paper

oh yes - i changed out all the 10 Mf caps to orange dot

dont put it on the short list - put it at the top - $199 - are you kidding me ?