1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD - Squier Jaguar Special HB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garyth, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..? Supporting Member

*those that frequent squier-talk will already have read this**

Made it here in two days. I know, sight unseen, unplayed, web purchase. I really think I lucked out and won't have to send it back, feels/looks like a keeper.

I did the whole visual thing. Everything looks straight (where it supposed too :D ) A couple of small scuff lines from handling that you can't see from 3" away. I guarantee you it'll have worse from me within a week, I ding everything I get my hands on almost immediately. I think it's one of those "worry about it so much that it happens" things. I've come to accept it.

So, I went about tuning it up, only off a little - probably for shipping. Action slightly high, relief looks ok but may need tweaked once I set the action and intonation .. yep, intonation is off on two strings. (post note: all set up, settled right in)

Sound is different then I am used to. I really liked the tone of the Epi SG I sold to get this, and my SX SS has tapewounds on it. This one is brighter on the whole but the 3 channel eq really gives you a good range. It should mellow out once I get some decent flats on there. I'm just not a well-rounded kind of guy :D

now some pics (sorry for the pics, only have a phone).
    The plastic is still on the pup and pickguard, I'll remove when it starts to fall off.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Very nice. I have one of these and I even though I love how the jaguar body looks, it feels uncomfortable to play standing. I thought I would like the active circuitry for the extra power but I feel like I have it on 1/2 volume most of the time. The tones are range from thumpy P to wide open jazz but the neck is too skinny for my tastes and unfortunately I am thinking of getting rid of the thing.
  3. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..? Supporting Member

Thanks for the observation. I guess not many people interested in my off-the-shelf basic bass, but I like it and it's the first new instrument I've ever bought.

I tried it sitting and standing, feels good for me. And I personally like the skinnier neck - To each his own, right, that's why they make so many types/styles of bass. The single biggest plus for me as far as body style is concerned is that it's balanced and light - unlike the Epi SG I had.

Figuring out the EQ to get the tone I want will be hardest, can't seem to dial them the way I want to hear it. Might be the strings, I'm just not into rounds and they are likely a cheap set anyway.
  4. NAVET

NAVET

I know this is an older post but was curious if you ever found what you were looking for? Did you swap out strings or leave the initial set on?
    I ask because this bass is on my short list for purchase.
  5. oweng

oweng

heya - i bought this bass - a little while - month or two ago-

i decided to change some things just because the price tag allows this-
    i put on new peg tuners - the stock ones are okay- but sloppy and - i just changed them

strings - i just got those yesterday - harris rotosound -amazing
    maybe too heavy for this bass - but it is a pain to set up -

the nut had to be cut on the D wider to fit
    i added a tiny shim under the neck today, like,,,,paper

oh yes - i changed out all the 10 Mf caps to orange dot

dont put it on the short list - put it at the top - $199 - are you kidding me ?