1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD!!!!!! Squier Matt Freeman P Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassingeorge, Dec 10, 2011.

1. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

YES! Finally a NBD in Talkbass! ;)

So, I bought a Squier Matt Freeman Sig P Bass in Black from MF...at a very good price.

I was skeptical about buying because I never tried one out, but the reviews here helped me, and I finally pulled the trigger!

Ok, so out of the box:
    The bass is so nice! The finish is spot on, it has that brand new smell, etc.

The one thing I noticed right away is that I got a flamed maple neck! :smug: YES! It looks so cool! And speaking 'bout the neck, the frets are nice and polished, rolled and absolutely no sharp edges, unlike my G&L tribute, which I had to polish myself and take out a few sharp edges. Yes, they are vintage sized, but so far I loved them. The finish on the neck doesn't feel sticky at all, although thats a very personal thing, some like a satin finish, others glossy.

The hardware is fine, except for the tuners, which I believe I'll be changing soon...I mean, they are not bad, just cheap...One thing I notice is that once I tuned it, even with the new strings, it hold it's tuning! All I need to know is if the Fender 75 Reissue tuners will fit.

I will change electronics even though they are nice and quiet, because I have a wiring kit already, with an orange drop capacitor. But it's not a necessary change.

Pickup is LOUD! It has a lot of output! I believe lowering it would lower the output, but I like it this way. No need to change it.

The string are WAY too bright! I will be putting chromes on it, or different type of roundwounds. I don't need too bright of a sound.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

Oh, and I forgot to add one thing...The nut has the tool marks still on...a little bit of polishing wouldn't hurt. Oh, and the fingerboard has an ugly streak in the wood, that looks like a burn...I don't think it's a burn, but it's ugly. Good thing it's just below the D string.

[​IMG]
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice looking bass, congrats! That's a laminated fretboard right?
  4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh

i liked the idea of getting one of these basses.
    with all the pbasses in my arsenal, i cant justify it right now.
    :(

congrats! looks like a nice one. the tint is actually tastefully done, i was worried it would be nuclear orange like my sx basses.
  5. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

Haha Nuclear orange! Yeah I've seen that tint! It's even a little mellower than my brothers Reissue Strat...

And yeah P. Aaron the neck is 2 piece. You can really see it from the top of the neck and the other picture I posted of the nut. I wish it would been 1 piece so I would get the flame on the fingerboard!
  6. Down_Low

Down_Low

Nice bass. I'm planning on getting a white one after Christmas, possibly doing a couple of mods. Let us know if the RI tuners fit?
  7. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

You'd probably have to drill new screw holes for the 70's tuners. No big deal, just make sure the keys are straight up, mark the holes, and drill in about 1/4" (mark the drill bit with tape).
  8. lousybassplayer

lousybassplayer

9. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

My son got one of them.
    Best bang for the buck out there.
  10. lousybassplayer

lousybassplayer

ill admit to a bit of fanboy-ish desire too, but sounds pretty feature packed (as basic Ps go) for 350 new. I prefer gassing for squiers to USA Fenders. Just makes it easier to convince myself I might get one someday.
  11. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

So far so good! I've been playing this thing non-stop!
    I'm trying not to play any punk....yet. I just want to put it through funk and other things rather than just take a pick and play punk. I'm kinda trying to convince myself that this bass can cover everything! And so far it hasn't disappoint! ;)

The only thing I have to get used to is the overall feel of the bass...it feels pretty light and "fragile-like" vs. my G&L L-2500 tribute, which is not light at all! Oh, and having no B string is new to me. (I have been playing 5 string for 8 years now)
  12. soulman969

soulman969

I'm thinking of one of the Matt Freeman's in white sometime next year. I love the CV Jazz I picked up so I'd like to add a PBass but don't like that Fiesta Red color the CV comes in but the vintage white of the Matt Freeman model looks nice.
  13. The Duke

The Duke

These really are great basses. I picked one up the other day since I've never owned a P. The fit and finish on these is incredible (especially for the money), but I wasn't sold on the P tone since I prefer J's.

Long story short, since I prefer Stingray and P necks over Jazz necks, I put the MF P neck on my VM 70's Jazz and it's seriously amazing. It's one of the best necks I've ever laid my hands on, and now I get the best of both worlds.
  14. El Hefe

El Hefe

I'm going to buy me one of these bad boys, the white one.
  15. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Sorry if this is OT, but does anyone know of anyone selling the neck off of one of these?
  16. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

You can always try "The Bay of E"....I've found LOTS of Fender parts from different sellers...and brand new. They take Squiers apart and sell them for parts. Expect to pay around $150 for a neck. When you can get the whole bass for a little more.

Search for "thestratosphere" at the bay...They sell a bunch of Squier and Fender parts. A little bit overpriced but available.
  17. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Yah, that's too pricey. I'll wait and see if one pops up here for a more reasonable cost.
  18. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

Ok, so I have a little update on the bass.
    So far the bass has been really good! I mean, I can't stop playin the thing! But then again I also realized some things along the way...

Ok, so the bass has some minor mods, most of them just aesthetic.

First of all, the infamous pickup. I changed it. Even though the stock one was pretty loud and nice sounding, I just couldn't get past the unbalance; the bottom was very boomy, and the highs were pretty anemic. So after much thought and research I opted for a handmade Curtis Novak pickup. And wow, what a difference. This guy really knows his stuff! Communication with him was good, although he did left me hanging with a question, nothing serious but oh well. The new pickup opened the sound of the bass to a whole new level! Super balanced, the construction is so good and I installed it without major mods, although the Stock covers did not align with the magnets...good thing I had an extra cover. The pickup I bought is the PB-V. I recommend it completely.

Other stuff I did to the bass?
    D'addario Chromes. I wanted to try flatwounds so bad, and I found a set of cheap chromes to try out. I've never liked dead roundwound strings...So I was kinda skeptical. But surprisingly I did like em'! They sound good on a P bass, specially picked with a little bit of overdrive. BUT...they are not that versatile. So I changed the strings back to the stockers, playing them and waiting for the roundwounds to die, so I can get that thump back. But the flatwounds are there...waiting for the first gig (I haven't gigged this bass...yet).

Chrome covers...LOVE the look! The only cover that is cumbersome is the pickup cover.

CTS pots and orange drop cap, barrel knobs (1lb each :D) to add to the look. And soon changing the thumb rest to the 70's location.

Cool! See ya guys! :bassist:
  19. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

20. JH Statts

JH Statts

That looks great with the covers. Very vintage. I'm getting one of these in the next week or so (black), and might go with the covers, too.

Also, you did get a great-looking neck. Hope I do too (online).