NBD - Squier Mikey Way bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pilgrim, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I confess that I had no idea who Mikey Way is - but I loved the look of this bass, and I already have a Bronco with a Gretsch 2202 pickup that sounds excellent.

Why not give it a buddy?

So I went for it! Silver metalflake, racing stripe, humbucking pickup, and black headstock for a very nice visual touch!

Photos are taken side by side with my Squier Bronco....the racing stripe on the Bronco is chrome automotive striping tape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like this bass. The sound is a bit different, the balance is decent and it has a ballsy sound. Now I just have to figure out which one to play...while more expensive basses sit idle.

2. MakoMan

MakoMan

Nice pair! Congrats!

3. lolmont

lolmont

I want the VM Squire Mustang, congrats on your purchase.

4. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

That silver sparkle finish does nothing for me, but I can see why you had to have it to go with your other bass. If I were you, I'd have done the same thing. Enjoy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Really wondering how a 'bucker on a Mustang sounds. I see the pawn shop series has one but the Squier intrigues me

7. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

Mikey is the bassist for my chemical romance, and the husband to one of my friends

8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Media:
  9. Pilgrim

It's a passive humbucker, and I'm generally a fan of passive basses. I don't worry much about sounddifferences between pickups, as I figure that the sound you get is the sound that bass was designed for. It's good full sound, no RF interference (which is what a humbucker is designed to eliminate anyway.)

The exception would be the Gretsch 2202 pickup in my Bronco, but I bought it specifically to play around with different pickups. That Gretsch pickup is hotter than the Squier/Fender humbucker.

The good news is that they do sound different - otherwise there'd be no reason to own both.

I've finally listened to some of the stuff My Chemical Romance plays. It's not my thing, but they seem to have a following and I can't fault the bass player's taste in instruments.

10. logans59

logans59

That's Awesome! I've seen them in concert many times and it's always a blast! Tell him to come to Atlanta more!

11. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

When they got married, they moved to NY, nowhere near me in poor ol MO

12. Pilgrim

Had another chance to try this bass out at practice last weekend. It has a little bit of the Gibson mudbucker character - when you push it, especially on the bottom two strings, it gets a little bit of grit to the sound. I like that. The humbucker on this bass is really doing its job well.

13. dash1951

dash1951

Nice bass. I have a Fender Mustang from 2003 with the Split Single-Coil Mustang Pickup and the Mikey Way model. They both sound great and are a lot of fun to play. Squier has come a long way.

14. punisher911

punisher911

I have the same pair, with the exception of my Bronco is the Badtz-Maru and I've yet to change out the pup.(soon though)

My band just hit the studio for the first time last weekend.. It was the Mikey Way that was there with me. I'm quite happy with my Mikey. Not sure if I'm a fan of the GHS Brite-Flats that I put on it, but loving the bass so far.(they didn't have any medium scale Chromes at the time)

After a pup swap though, the Badtz will get it's fair share of studio and stage time.

15. el_cody_loco

el_cody_loco Supporting Member

That bass looks awesome! Sounds like the humbucker does it's job well. I recently developed a love for Mustang basses, so I'm even more curious about this one. Kinda unsure about the finish, but if it's bite is as good as you say it all, I may be tempted to sway my opinion.

16. awilkie84

awilkie84

I really with there was a 34" scale Mustang. :( I love that body style but was a longer scale.

17. rtslinger

rtslinger

Mikey and his brother Gerard grow up in my home town. They used to rehearse two houses down from mine. At the time MCR had no bass player and Mikey joined when college did not work for him. He had never played till he join MCR talk about stepping in it. oh yeah nice bass good luck with it

18. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

Wonder what it would sound like with an EMG 35DC. I love the look of that bass

19. Pilgrim

I don't know, but that passive 'bucker is plenty good itself. I'm not tempted to change it.