NBD: Squier P Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gidbass, Nov 22, 2013.

1. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Well, GAS strikes again!

I have been gassing lately for a P (with flats) and was scouring the local CL when I picked up a short scale SX P. I was hooked, but I couldn't adjust to the 30" scale, so I decided to sell it, plus a few other items and splurge for a 34" scale P.

My criteria, solid color with a maple fretboard. That was really about it. I love the look of wood grains, but it just isn't me.

I missed a few close deals on CL, so finally I said, the heck with it, I'll purchase new. I had a Squier VM jazz a few years ago, and it was a great bass. For the money, I am not sure you can do much better than the current VM/CV series that Squier offers.

I decided to splurge (if one can truly splurge on a squier...) and went for the Matt Freeman P...and glad I did. Lots of bass for the money! Out of the box, I was able to achieve a very low action with no buzzing. The fit and finish are excellent as is the fret work and the bass was gigable as is...

But, I have a condition where I need to upgrade basses (its my problem, I deal with it) so, enter a Bill Lawrence (RIP) P46 and a fender gold anodized pickguard (which I always loved the look of on black). It turned out better than I thought. The brass saddles, with the anodized pickguard and the vintage tint neck look awesome together (IMHO). The P46 is probably the best pickup for a P you can buy at this (or any) price point. There is a lot of information on TB about it, and it is all correct...the P46 is a fantastic pickup and if you haven't tried it, you should if you are considering a pickup upgrade.

Anyways, I think this bass will be a great addition to the herd, which includes a Ric 4003, and a steinberger spirit XT, both of which sport RS 66's. My new P sports a fresh set of chromes.

I know, I know...no pics, no bass so here you go!

[​IMG]

2. Warhawk

Warhawk

Really pretty bass. Congrats!

3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Nice! The Matt Freeman P seems like a lot of bass for the money, and the few demos I've heard sound fantastic.

4. aproud1

aproud1 I don't feel tardy? Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    That's a beauty for sure. The new squier stuff is pretty amazing especially for the money. My Squier P5 is a stunner. Almost bought one of those freemans myself, but already have a p bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. garp

garp

Very nice. Congrats!

7. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

Been wanting one of these really bad lately as well, just Olympic white. I've been watching the classifieds very closely.

Great bass!

Congrats!