NBD - Squier Vintage Modfied V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass32, Dec 16, 2012.

1. bass32

bass32

Received my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V yesterday. I bought it as a back up to my FCS.

The Pros;
    The bass looks really nice. I never was a big fan of the natural finish (only option with this model), but I have to admit this one looks pretty nice.
    I was really surprised at how easy the bass is to play. The neck is great and I like the satin finish. Smooth, fast and straight. All I needed to do were a few small adjustments on string height and set the intonation.

The Cons:
    A few Q/C issues. One string tree screw is installed crooked. I'll probably end up replacing the tree with a better one.
    The control knobs are crooked as well. It's not bad. You can only tell when turning them. At one point they will scrap the chrome plate. However, they do work properly so no big deal.
    I can get a decent sound with the equipment I have, but I'm still keeping the option of replacing the pups and pots. They are plenty hot enough and it's really not a bad sounding bass. When you look at what I'm use to playing, well I'm probably being too picky.

Just had a 4 hour practice with the band today. Took the Squier and really enjoyed it. Dialed in a pretty good sound using a SansAmp BDDI and playing through our drummer's Hartke Kickback with a 15" speaker.
    The bass was easy to play. I'm really liking the neck, especialy after I did the set up. Low action with no fret buzz anywhere on the neck. Intonation is pretty good everywhere on the neck. It holds tune well and is very quiet.

So far I have no problems recommending the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V. If you looking for an inexpensive 5 string or 4 string, you should at least give it a try.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. bassteban

bassteban

Looks sweet- early Christmas? :cool:

3. bass32

bass32

Yeah it is. Santa came a little early for me this year. :D

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Nice basses for what you have to pay for it. Congrats.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Willie Dizon

Willie Dizon

I finally got a VM 5 this past Thursday.I totally love it.I used to own Modulus,Roscoe,and Ernie Ball MMs. I am very impressed with the bang for the buck value of this bass;I can't stop playing it!

7. bass32

bass32

Checked the Squier out during set up for a gig a couple of weeks ago. It was okay, but a bit thin sounding for my taste. Plugged in the FCS Jazz afterwards and there was a world of difference.
    So I'm replacing the pups with SD SJ5-3's Quarter Pounds, USA made 250K pots and a .047 200V ceramic capacitor. I also shielded everything while I was at it. Should finish up tomorrow. I believe this will fatten up the sound to the point that I can be satisfied with it, but I do know it will never sound or play as well as my FCS.
    Adding in the costs of the mods (approx $150 including new barrel knobs and 2 round string trees) I still think it's the best 5 string for the money.

8. bass32

bass32

I apologize for not answering you earlier.

I paid $305 last month (December). Free shipping. Fender had $25 off then. They are now $329. Still not a bad price.

9. bass32

bass32

Congrats willie. They are surprisingly fun to play. I agree, they're a great bang for the buck.

10. Willie Dizon

Willie Dizon

I'll be keeping mine stock since I'm very happy with the way they are;however, my Squier Jazz Deluxe 5 will get upgrades in the future(Nordy preamp,pearl pickguard and truss rod cover).

11. Bobster

Bobster

I wasn't in love with the Duncan Designed pickups that came with the bass.

I have a set of Lollar's I love and I've moved them over to the VMV, along with a stacked knob jazz set, and have been very happy.

I will likely get slammed, but I like this bass, with these pickups, as well as my DJ5, and I liked it a lot.

Bob

12. SigiZ58

SigiZ58

Mine got the American Standard V Jazz PUs. Great enhancement to the Duncan Designed.

13. lostrings

lostrings

I did a complete overhaul on mine...Refinished in Surf Green w/matching head stock, Audere 3 band pre, Fender N3 pickups, fantastic tone, great neck. My only complaint is the weight. It is a heavy bass.

14. bass32

bass32

Post some pics. Surf Green is one of my favorite colors. I bet the matching headstock looks great.

Bobster & SigiZ28, post some pics too.

Willie Dizon, might as well show yours as well.

I like looking at pics. It's easier than reading! :D

15. TapyTap

TapyTap

What is the balance like...neck dive?

16. lostrings

lostrings

Here are a few pics of my VM5...It is shot with ReRanch Nitro Surf Green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. bass32

bass32

LoStrings.......WOW.......I love it!!!

The Pearl pg and the Surf Green tug bar is just icing on the cake.

Did you do it yourself?

18. lostrings

lostrings

Yes..It was a fun project. The electronics are the icing on the cake. It sounds very modern which is what I was after, and it is very quiet with the N3 pickups.

19. bass32

bass32

Well my hat's off to you. Great job.

I hit a little snag (nothing major) with my mod project, but I should have it done by the middle of the week. I'm looking forward to hearing the bass. I have 2 gigs this week, thursday & saturday. I may use it both gigs, but saturday for sure.

20. Woofer

Woofer

Daaaaaaayum! :eek::bassist:

21. Willie Dizon

Willie Dizon

Wow,that's beautiful. I definitely need to post pics even thought mine is totally stock(she's still a beauty in her own right.):hyper: