1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Squier VM Jaguar V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vostre Roy, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Howdy folks,

I've posted in the New Squier thread about the fact that I pulled the plug on one of those lovely 5 stringers Jaguar that Squier just released. I had to wait a bit to see one pop on a canadian dealer website, add to that some time for them to actually get the bass in the shop (about 2 weeks) and some delay from Canada Post, I was more than eager to actually receive that bass. Lucky me, I am on a 4/3 schedule and my additional "off" day is on monday, so I was all there waiting for the delivery truck. No more blabla, here's the pictures.

A wild Fender box appears

[​IMG]

As expected, a Squier VM Jaguar V in 3-tone colorbust. Lovely. Also, as a treatment I do to all my new instrument, I slapped some Schaller-style straplocks on here so I can use my two good straps with it.

[​IMG]

Pickups. Can't wait to actually hear those (wednesday for the next rehearsal)

[​IMG]

Control panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture of the back. Bass approved by Duff drinking Homer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Played her a bit and I'm not so lost, I was expecting some drastic difference between this Squier and my Ibby SR305, but the neck are quite comparable and the feel is not too far-off. I kinda feel some neckdive, but if it bothers me too much I'll put the strap button somewhere else.

Anyway, will give it a real test drive on wednesday, I'll do a report.

Here's my other new purchase this week. Just wanted a simple interface so I can record myself when I jam in my place

[​IMG]

Cheers!

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

badass!
    For half a second i thought that was a Homer Simpson sticker then i realized it was the TV.

3. jlepre

jlepre

NICE! I have been back and forth on one of these or the VM P5. What's the weight?

4. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

:p Cheers man, its a badass instrument for sure!

All I have to weight it is my scale at home, not a digital one, so don't expect a very precise answer lol

I'll compare it to my SR305, my Bari-tele and one of my Schecters as a comparaison.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

I played one of these guys for about an hour this past Saturday night. I liked it. The electronics (vol-vol-boost-tone) weren't fantastic but I still managed to get some good tones out of it. And I was impressed with the playability.

Congrats and enjoy your new bass!

7. metalhead398

metalhead398

Definitely cool. Like the burst. This is probably a dumb question, but why do the magnets i the jazz pup look weird? Anyway, cool bass!

8. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Cheers man! I actually plan to replace one of the knob for a blend, but before I settle anything I'll give it some rehearsal love. Also, I'm contacting Lace to see if they can make me some pickups, if they do the active preamp might fly out.

Those are adjustable pole, that way you can raiselower the magnets on a single string instead of raising/lowering the entire pickup. Its for fine tuning, I've never messed with pickup poles

9. awilkie84

awilkie84

How are you liking this thing? I'm washing over the Oly Jazz V and the Jag V. Is the B solid & responsive?

10. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

I'm by no mean an expert bass player, in fact I've been playing bass for about a year so I'm far from being a reference in that matter ahaha

That being said, its easily on-par with my SR305 quality and playability talking. The B string seems to be way more responsive and clear on the Jag but I think a 130 wouldn't be too fancy. I've bought a EB pack just in case eheh

I'll do a report/review after my rehearsal tomorrow!

11. awilkie84

awilkie84

Awesome. Thanks for the input. IMO, the Ibanez SR series have shoddy B strings. I'm not surprised that this Jag has a better B. I think I'll be placing an order for 1 tonight. a .130 gauge B will do a lot of good for that Jag, too. Just make sure it seats in the saddle well and doesn't twist when you're stringing it up.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    That looks great. Much better looking o me than the 4 string which is weird.

I did have a red Squire Jag 4 a couple of years ago and it was a good sounding bass.

13. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Actually my biggest concern with my Ibanez was about the B string, but more specifically the saddles on wich it sits. After a couple of jams, the screws would get out and one time, one of them eventually fell off lol

[​IMG]

14. awilkie84

awilkie84

Wow...your action is SUPER low, too!
    There's a threading "paint" almost that can be put on the height screws. It's blue and found in many electronics or hardware stores. Put a layer of that on & let it set. Then screw it back in. They shouldn't rattle loose anymore.

15. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Congrats, looks really sweet!

16. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Yeah I actually though about doing that, will probably do at some point but for now the SR will more likely become my backup bass. Nice overall, but I don't like the neck and bridge. I do like the fact that it weight next to nothing though.

As for my action, I guess it is to be expected from a guitarist who play bass with a pick (there, I said it :p)

Cheers buddy!

17. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Right on, man!

18. metalhead398

metalhead398

I'm actually trying to decide between an LTD or this... If you turn off the bridge pup, does it give you that P sound? If not I might go with the LTD.

19. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

I'll be able to give my most honest answer tomorow. Keep in mind that I owned neither a P or J bass before and this one felt perfect because I thought that the combination of both pickup would make me try them both in a single instrument. So I hope it will, and I'm pretty sure it will.

Now, I weighted the Jaguar as best as I could using my crappy person scale. It has a 0.5lbs error factor I'd say

Squier VM Jaguar V: 9.5lbs
    Warmoth Bari-Telecaster: 9.5lbs
    Ibanez SR305: 7lbs

So the Jag is indeed quite heavy, close to 10lbs and about as heavy as what I previously considered my heaviest guitar. The Ibanez felt quite light so I thought it'd be around 6lbs mark, I'm quite surprised there. Anyway, here are some comparison pictures

The three instruments I weighted:

[​IMG]

Headstocks are almost all at the same height. Because of the disproportion, the Baritone neck feels longer than my basses neck, but not too much so it bothers me

[​IMG]

And here's the thickness comparaison, necks are really similar

Ibby

[​IMG]

Squiggy

[​IMG]

If you got any other questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers!

20. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Beautiful bass, grats!

21. awilkie84

awilkie84

Hurry up & plug it in! lol I want an audio review.