NBD Squire MIJ Jazz!! Wicked excited.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by howdoyoudo, Feb 6, 2014.

1. howdoyoudo

howdoyoudo

Got a new bass and have just set it up and customized it to my liking. It's my first one and there hasn't been any other bass that I just needed to have before. Simply borrowed friends instruments previously.

[​IMG]

1987 Made in Japan Squire by Fender Jazz Bass. Got
    roundwounds on her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty sure the body wood is basswood. It dents really easy and is very light.

Neck feels great, fullness to it front to back. Very comfortable.

This bass has a nice sound. Can be round and full, as well as very rude and in your face. The two volume and tone give a lot of sounds as well as placement of playing and how.

The electronics are original; pickups, pots, caps etc.

Overall condition is good, nothing bad to report about.

Came with an installed Badass II bridge.
    [​IMG]

Removed the pickgaurd, feels better with out it.

Installed a tug bar in the p bass position. The jazz position for the tug bar felt strange. Like it for resting my fingers on it and playing thumb style.
    [​IMG]

Came with dome chrome knobs, but I prefer the original style jazz bass knobs so I put those on.

Got it for 400 bucks and I'm happy. What's the average value for a bass like this?

Thinking about installing 'vintage accurate' pick ups and electronics harness, any options or thoughts on that?

The tuners aren't super accurate; but once in tune, it's in tune. Entertaining the idea of installing difference tuning machines. I like the original style keys, any good tuners with that look?

Play a lot of drop D as well, so thinking about installing one of those drop tuners. Found the Hipshot, but not sure which I'd need to install on this bass. Any help?

Hope everyone thinks it's as cool as I do. Definitely keeping this bass. Buying this bass has got me wanting a G&L L-1000, Rickenbacker 4000, Fender 51 pbass, and Fender telecaster bass. Of course another jazz but with alder body and original style bridge, maybe flats?! The gas man.

Got a new amp and rig as well! Shared here, Acoustic 220 amp, 301 & 215BX cabs.

Cheers!

Thanks guys!

2. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

$400 is a pretty good price. MIJ Squiers are just as good as the Fenders from the same era. Keep the stock pick-ups in for a little while at least, get familiar with the tone before you commit to anything. Nice bass, ya done good.

And just for fun here's my MIJ Squier P

[​IMG]

3. slickbass3

slickbass3

Great score... Agree about the pickups. I was going to swap out mine on a early 90's RI MIJ and decided against it. Glad I did. It's my main gig bass. Mine happens to be ash. I had it refinished in trans white by Marty Bell.

Put a black guard on that baby and go.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391779012.342953.jpg

4. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

Gotta love the necks on those E series MIJ Squiers! I had one and it was great. Enjoy!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Great bass congrats and I agree with everyone else you already have "'vintage accurate pick ups"

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

White PG on a creme body all day long

8. hardtwister

hardtwister Supporting Member

I think those are GREAT basses! I love the 80's MIJ Squiers. I am leaving the stock pups in mine. It's an 83 MIJ Squier Jazz in black w/rosewood. The neck is something to behold, and this bass is much lighter and more neutrally weighted than the 70's USA Jazz I had..

Congrats on your purchase!!!

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391790764.611157.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391790867.649922.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391791022.113860.jpg

9. hardtwister

If you do replace the pickups, be sure to keep the originals! You just never know.. ;)

10. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    I have an SQ series MIJ Jazz (as well as an SQ P bass) , and used to have an E series Strat , so nothing but agreement from me re: quality and playability.

Definitely keep anything you remove. I toyed with a PU swap on mine, but have come to love the vintage-ish tone of the originals.

I also removed the pickguard, and also think it's more comfy to play without it. I have a couple different ones though, just for fun and different moods.

Pretty sure the Hipshot d-tuner you'd want is the BT-10.

You have a nice looking bass there. Enjoy!

11. hardtwister

12. howdoyoudo

howdoyoudo

Nice basses guys! Love seeing them haha.

Really enjoy the sound, so I don't plan on changing them. Just thought I'd get some ideas about it. If you like what you got, why try to fix it right? Good to hear they're of vintage standard sounds, because that's what I wanted haha.

I do like the look of a guard, it's just that my right hand wants more room.

Hipshot BT-10, got it. Thanks wraub! Any suggestion for replacing the other three tuners?

What's up with the neck plate shot hardtwister?

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!