NBD: Standard Made in Mexico Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Mar 25, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

TB is being gooching my picture uploads for some reason so I'll upload pictures tomorrow.

I also found someone selling their 2006 American P-Bass pickups for $20. What model of pickups are in 2006 MIAs? He also said the pass was a S1 switching config...I think they just started installing the CS 60s into the Precision and Jazz basses of the American Standards.

Kinda wondering if I should pull the trigger on these Am. Std. pickups...

2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

So it comes with the whole harness as well? as thats where the S1 switch is , in one of the pots. Thats a deal, I like the s1 switch , many people dont. Its worth the $20 either way,more actually.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Upload your pics to a free account on Photobucket.com or other free pic hosting site and then link them here.

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I've only heard one other man ever use that term.... :bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Congrats.The Fender Standard Precision is a work horse bass, and probably similar to what you hear on 90% of all recordings with an electric bass. It's really difficult to go wrong with it.
    Re: Pickups... Buy the ones you want and like, but I recommend you play the bass in it's stock form for a couple of months before making any changes. What might feel or sound different to you at first, could be something you end up liking.

Best of luck with your new bass.

7. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Thanks. I can't wait to test it out.

I was an adamant jazz guy but the precision was calling to me m

8. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

No just the pickup. Lol I would so pull the trigger if it was the actual assembly m

9. Bemis

Bemis

Dave from Canada! I've been subbed to him for years. :bassist:

10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I hate Dave and all of his videos, but I have spent hours watching. It's truly mesmerizing, and I can't explain it. :confused:

11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... An '06 AmSeries P should probably have the 61276/7 set of pups ...

... 2012 was the model year Fender started installing Custom Shop pups in the 'New' AmStands ...

12. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

My new bass. Nothing sexy in terms of appearance but it's a precision bass at a bargain price of $290. managed to bargain with seller from $350.

I heard flats are perfect for precision basses because it sounds perfect: the split coil and the warmth of flats.

Have to do a lot of set up and intonation and cleaning before this baby goes out of the road. I love it. Honestly. I thought my jazz would be the only one for me, but every bassist has got to have both in my opinion.

EDIT: TB still having problems with picture uploads and my Flickr got deleted so just go to Google, search up Fender Precision bass and look for one with black body, rosewood neck, and white pickguard. Exact same bass. Hahaha

Sorry!

13. Bemis

Bemis

I feel the same. He not as mad as he used to be though. LOL

14. meatwad

meatwad

So if the 61276/7 set is the same pickup that's in my 2011 AmSt, then I will vouch for it's decency at being just a good ol' P-bass pickup. Sounds very "P" to me, but probably no different than yours already sounds.

15. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

It would sound more amazing but I fear the worst. I tried to set it up to my preferences: action that is in the middle between high and low, pickups raised just enough so I can get more from the D and G and have my thumb rest on the top split coil, neck a little bit of bow..

Ahhhh that's where the problem comes from. Too much of a frontal arc so I went to turn it counterclockwise to give it relief but the thing turned way too smoothly. Like smooth as butter. I felt no form of resistance or friction.

Is my truss rod broken? And the 12th fret beyond have insane fret buzz. Nothing worked. I raised saddles, still there. Truss rod may be gooched....

16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

to my understanding, turning it clockwise is to tighten the truss rod -that gives you the resistance or friction. It sounds like you're loosening the truss rod, or removing the tension.

17. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Well yeah I know that but the rod feels very very very smooth, almost as if the wood inside is stripped or the rod may be broken.

18. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

Can you take out the nut completely? If the nut does not come out, then the nut is stuck on the rod and it probably broken. Or the hex pattern inside the nut is all rounded out and your allen key is not turning it at all, just spinning. That would be your best case scenario

Buzz above 12 fret is expected when the neck has too much of a forward bow.

Do you know the seller? you may have been boned on the deal.

19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

ah....Im guessing it also turns smoothly when you tighten the rod? In which case, yes, it may be the rod is broken if you hear a kind of clicking sound.

One other thing you can do is put heavier gauge strings on it if you have some on hand. This will force the neck to bend a little more in order to give you more relief. Doesn't solve the truss rod issue, but it will adjust the bow on the neck for now.

20. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

It gives me resistance when I tighten it so based on your description of a broken truss rod, it probably isn't broken nor do I hear a clicking sound.

I always use 45-105 which is standard factory gauge?

21. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I didn't know you could take the nut out. I thought it was glued in?

The neck is bent backwards, as in the back of the neck is bowed out. Which is nqturla when strings are strung up.