NBD... Sterling Ray 35... WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Red_Label, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Red_Label

Red_Label

I was at my local shop this morning playing through the basses and I played a Sterling 4-string that SPANKED all of the other basses they had in terms of liveliness, punch, bark, etc. They told me that they had a 5-string Ray 35 on-order. While I was there, it showed-up. I took it straight home to try out with my new GK MB200 and Eden 1X15. It's NOT going back to the shop. I took the Tobias "Toby" bass that I was trying-out back (and the GK 2X10 cab in this picture). I think I've found my bass rig now! Of course... I'm kind of wanting to pick-up the 4-string Sterling as well... :)

[​IMG]

2. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Your picture tells me that you are a gear junkie. Right on man!

And that bass is gorgeous.

3. jlepre

jlepre

I love the new Trans White. Congrats!

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

My gas meter just went to 100000

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Red_Label

Red_Label

Oh yeah... that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's mostly been guitars (electrics, steel string acoustics, nylon string acoustics) and amps (too many boutique tube heads to mention), but I've been through a few mandolins, ukes, and basses over the past couple of years. But this is my first bass since I've decided to actually PLAY bass after so many years of just having them lying around to record with. I haven't felt this stoked about a new hobby in years. WOOT! :bassist:

Btw... I spent most of the last two years gigging my own flamenco-jazz numbers around my area. I'll eventually have to grab a fretless bass to throw some bottom end on my tracks: http://jwflamenco.net

7. Red_Label

Red_Label

Thanks! I dig it too. They ordered one with the rosewood neck and one with the maple. I'm glad the rosewood came in today. I dig rosewood on white.

8. Red_Label

Red_Label

Yeah, my bass GAS is just getting started! That four string Sterling is calling my name now too! ;)

9. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Brought home the sub4 today, very impressed with Sterling's equipment line up right now!

10. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

I love my Ray 34. As close to a stinger as I can afford and just as satisfied.

11. Red_Label

Red_Label

Their guitars are pretty awesome as well. I've been on the verge of buying a Petrucci 6-string for a while.

12. Red_Label

Red_Label

Haven't played a Stinger, but yeah... I can't imagine the high-end stuff being THAT much superior to the imports. I've been through a ton of Ltd EC LP-style guitars in the past decade, as well as two of the real ESP Eclipses. I can tell you that the Korean, Indonesian and Chinese Ltds are in most cases at least 90% of the Japanese ESPs. I see no reason that it's not the same way with Sterling vs. MM. You definitely have to pay a LOT more to get that little bit of extra performance and quality. Same could be said for the PRS USA vs. the PRS SE guitars that I owned, etc.