1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Suhr Classic J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonesn4bass, Dec 8, 2013.

1. jonesn4bass

jonesn4bass

Photos Added Below!
    In June I placed a rush order on a custom Suhr Classic J. Living in a bit of a remote area, I had no opportunity to try much more than the standard Guitar Center offerings but wanted something a bit higher end than my local shop usually offers. After reading many reviews (a fair amount here) and weighing the price to feature ratio of a number of jazz basses I decided to pull the trigger on a Suhr - sight unseen.

Most of my stable is bright colors, glossy, rosewood, and active. I wanted something different, classy, and more "classic" when buying my first Jazz bass so I opted for a single piece matte swamp ash body, maple neck and board, the classic pickups and passive electronics, a simple bent bridge, and hipshot tuners. It is simply stunning to behold and the fit and finish is meticulous. I have become a huge fan of matte finishes and this Suhr achieves a level of flatness that I have not ever seen before.

Sound wise it is very versatile for having all passive guts. With the the tone favoring "bass" and bridge pickup off the resulting tone is damn near fretless in its warmth and smoothness. Turn the knobs the other way and it gets wonderfully grindy. A very sensitive tone knob really allows for a huge range of variety and nuance. I don't have too much time put into it with my amp yet because I had a small accident at work which resulted in my left index finger being splinted.....which makes it a tad hard to play (and leaves me nervous about sliding a metal splint on my new neck!)

So far I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to getting to know it better! Only one pic for now because it's dark out right now, but I'll be taking more tomorrow for sure.

[​IMG]

2. ChadonBass

ChadonBass Supporting Member

3. jonesn4bass

jonesn4bass

Ok, sorry for the delay. Been a busy few days. I finally got around to taking a couple non-cell phone pics. Hope y'all enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

One piece ash body. Verrrrry nice!

5. Register to disable this ad