1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD! TB-4P from Traveler Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Aug 28, 2013.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

2. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

I ordered it yesterday from Sweetwater. My sales representative (Alan) treated me well, and price-matched the current Musicians Friend 15% discount. With FedEx Overnight shipping, this $499.99 bass cost me $510.14. Not bad, in my opinion.

Here are the other pics of my bass, that Sweetwater had posted on their website: http://s874.photobucket.com/user/klingy68/library/Traveler%20Guitar%20TB-4P

Hey ClassicJazz! Good job on the video. You hit all the major points concerning the TB-4P.

Attached Files:

3. ClassicJazz

I ended up getting a good deal, I had a 20% off coupon which saved me $100.

I just tried out the headphone feature, sounds pretty darn good.

4. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

ClassicJazz,

Looks like we're the only two on TalkBass interested in talking about the TB-4P. :D

Now that you had it a couple of days, what is your current opinion of it?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Salamenster

Salamenster

GREAT VID! You should do more vids like this on all of your gear! You're a born reviewer, bro! Keep up the good work.

7. ClassicJazz

I like it! I had to tweak the neck and the action just a small bit, so it is playing nice. I like low action.

I really like the tone, pretty punchy. I know these Duncan pu's are for a Mustang bass, but they work great in this bass. The bass itself is very well made. This sucker is sooo much better then the Steinberger Spirit bass I mentioned in the video.

This is just a cool bass! I am more of a Jazz bass guy (and also I play a MM Sterling), but if I needed a P-Bass tone for a regular gig, I would not hesitate to bring it.

8. ClassicJazz

Thanks!

9. ClassicJazz

Well used the TB-4P the other night for a set. It really sounded great! Plus all the comments from people trying to figure out what the heck I was playing.

The one thing I must be careful of is to be aware of were my thumb is. I tried to keep it anchored on the pickup, but once and a while I found it heading for one of the holes were the tuning pegs are. Also haven't figured out where to clip on my clip-on tuner since there is no head stock. Probably will have to keep my old Fender plug in tuner in the gig bag.

10. selowitch

selowitch

Amazon had red one for 15% off and I simply couldn't resist. It's on its way to me. I have always wanted an ultralight bass (to ease aching back/shoulders/neck); a medium-scale one; and a Mustang, and this one seems to be a perfect hybrid of the three. I'm a little wary of wide nut (it's 1.75" and I prefer 1.5" or maybe 1.625"), but I'm pretty sure it won't be dealbreaker. Excited to make this the centerpiece of a my portable rig!

11. selowitch

selowitch

BTW, here's a cool interview with Andres Rotmistrovsky regarding the Traveler TB-4P bass.

12. selowitch

selowitch

Mine just arrived. Extremely cool instrument and so light in weight! Good sound, maybe just a slight volume drop on the "E" string, but a very serviceable, rich tone. Pics to come!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  13. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

I am a fan. I own the tobacco sunburst version. I was surprised at how authentic the p bass sound was. The headphone also sounds like my bass run through a DI.

I usually keep this at work for practice during lunch.

14. blueskyjaunte

blueskyjaunte ^- Mwahnster

Thanks for the informative review. I, too, have been searching for a portable bass, but the reviews for this one have been lacking.

15. selowitch

selowitch

I'm honestly debating sending mine back. I love the light weight and it looks great. The medium scale and the neck are really nice, but the sound is kind of anemic. I A/B it with MIM Jazz with EMG-X pickups and Chromes and there was no comparison. The Traveler sounds thin and without impact. I suppose I could change the strings to flats, change the pots to 500k, and/or replace the pickup, but it's sort of a risk. Maybe what I really want is a lighter Jazz Bass (or even a medium scale one).

16. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Wouldn't you expect a passive bass to have less punch than active pickups?

I think it's comparable when I make the comparison to other passive instruments. The headphone jack is the only active element on this bass...

17. selowitch

selowitch

Absolutely valid point. However, it's about identifying what I do like. Also, I don't know of any active pickup replacements in the Mustang shape. Anyway, I'm about to go drop it off at UPS.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  18. selowitch

selowitch

Aaaaand now I have an excruciating case of “returner’s remorse.” I miss it. I think I can work with the tone and I love the lightweight body and the perfect neck. Seriously thinking of re-ordering.

I’m fickle sometimes.

19. selowitch

selowitch

Just pulled the trigger again! $424.99 shipped really is great deal on a unique instrument.

20. selowitch

selowitch

Okay got my second Traveler TB-4P in red and I'm very happy I came to my senses. I also went ahead and ordered a set of D'Addario Chromes (from bassstringsonline) in .045 .065 .085 and .105 to match the stock strings, which is an D'Addario EXL 165 set. It looks like there might be an upper limit on what gauge strings will fit through the holes at the end of the neck; seems as though strings thicker than "light" may not fit. Has anyone noticed this too?