NBD: The horrors of "DIY" owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ricky Caboverde, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

I just got this Tobias Standard 5 locally and although it is a sweet bass, I can't get over the craziness (to put it nicely) of the previous owner who thought it would make the bass more "legit" if he sanded off the "made in Japan" part and tried his hand at some "DIY" pearl block inlays :(

Attached Files:

2. Ricky Caboverde

REAL classy! :/

Attached Files:

3. Ricky Caboverde

Original preamp and pups--thank God! Nice ash in Candy Blue. I love this color!

Attached Files:

4. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

Those blocks look horrendous! Are you going to get the fretboard redone?

Sweet bass otherwise!
  5. Ricky Caboverde

I don't know :/ depends on how much it would cost. I'm afraid to invest more than its actually worth. I was thinking as a quick fix to use some inlay PET stickers, but I need to find a good source and a style that isn't obnoxious. If only he had left the inlays alone! I much prefer the small dots that were original than block inlay (even done well).
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I dont like a DIY that just does a bad job. Why would a sanded to barewood spot look better then text reading made in japan ?

I am all for butchering sub $300 bass, SX, squier, corts, sure if you have a affinity sanded it, cut up the fretboard but a quality bass why? and sadly the cost to repair plus the original purchase price would be more then just buying a cleaner one .
  7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Not an easy thing to fix without it still looking hokey. I'm guessing the proper fix would be to find someone who actually can do nice looking inlays and have them install block inlays in the color/material you choose that are slightly larger than the hack job ones to cover the mess.

Of course, the blocked neck people will love the look, and natch you don't prefer them...welcome to real life.

As for the "made in Japan" fiasco, I would try to find some auto touch-up paint that matches as closely as possible (they are pretty good at this) and then just air brush a tad of blue over the sanded spot, so it won't be so noticeable from a distance.

Et Voila! Not only a great looking new bass but one with hard to find custom block inlays as well! :D
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Excellent idea. Go slightly larger and all you'll have is custom inlays.

Also agreed. You could even just cover that area with gloss black and then smooth it out, and it would fit in pretty nicely.
  9. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I think oval inlays would look great. Something like this?
    [​IMG]
  10. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lssy cmprsn. Supporting Member

Maybe the culprit didn't want the Japanese to get blamed for that inlay work.

Yeah, right, I'm sure that's it.

Reid
  11. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Vinyl decals on eBay, 10-20$ will cover email up nicely. Have em on my p-deluxe in black 7.50. A few bucks more for pearloid..
  12. Ricky Caboverde

:D How thoughtful! LOL

Yup! That's what I'll do. I dig that quite a bit-- Alembics did ovals as well, no?
    Its going to be a while before I can get that done though. Hey, just a thought....maybe I should try it myself ;)
  13. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Not sure about Alembics, but thats a Peavey TL-5. Ive always dug oval inlays as well, as long as its not a "classicly styled" bass. Its a more modern appointment in my eyes. Suitable for a Tobias for sure :smug:
  14. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

If there's gaps on the side of the block inlays you can fill them in. Find some wood that matches the color and drill holes in it. Save the sawdust and mix it with wood glue. Then use a toothpick to get it down into the gaps.
  15. IronSpatula

IronSpatula

I also think some oval inlays would be cool. Maybe in a contrasting wood?

As far as the sanding debacle - you could just strip and oil the whole neck. That would feel great and go with the "custom" vibe of new inlays.
  16. Ricky Caboverde

Thanks for the tip! The blocks are not even centered well so all my effort would be a waste, really. Although I'll confess that I did buy some stainable wood filler today in case I change my mind about that.
  17. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Check out Luminlay if you are going to do an inlay upgrade. Glowing blue oval inlays and side dots? On that killer blue bass? Sweet! Not as screaming bright as LED's and a fraction on the cost.

The stupid sanding spot on the back, I'd just ignore it, or maybe stick a planet waves mini tuner on it.

Gorgeous blue bass!
  18. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

The ovals look nice, I would go that route for sure.
  19. MikeWfromNJ

MikeWfromNJ Supporting Member

Can anybody recommend a shop in the NYC area that can repair (replace) a block inlay for a Fender Jazz bass? My is cracked and I'm torn between leaving it and having somebody botch it up.

Thanks.
  20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I think the OP knows someone that does inlay work. Doesn't do a good job of it, but inlay work none the less.