1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD! The Jeopardy bass is here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Nov 25, 2013.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

The long-awaited bass has finally arrived! For the backstory here - last April I went to California and shot an episode of Jeopardy. The champion blew me out of the water, but I at least managed to pull 2nd place, with a $2000 prize. The episode aired July 8, and the Sony people sent my check in October, which was promptly turned into an order with Carvin. Today the big brown truck finally delivered this beauty: an SB4000.

It has a swamp ash body, 10" radius neck and the Carvin people agreed to give it the PB4's profile. Ebony fretboard with MOP blocks, greenburst finish, a D-tuner, regular passive J99s. Promptly plugged it in and it plays beautifully, tone is great. the swamp ash is nice and light and it balances perfectly on a strap. One thing I hadn't expected, but even though it's 34" scale it hangs so that it doesn't really need much arm extension, almost feels like a short-scale.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the pickup cover. I ordered it just for the bling and to see how I liked it, but I realized I really do usually play over the pickups and it can get in the way. I'll probably play with it for a week or so and see if I get used to it or if I want to take it off.

OK, the pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, the "Def Cats" thing -- memorializing my humiliation. There was a category on rock bands, and one of them entailed a clue involving hearing-impaired felines. The answer, of course, was Def Leppard, but I choked and answered "Who are the Def Cats?" It's been a family joke ever since. Probably still wouldn't have won even if I'd answered right, but it was one to remember.
  2. JACink

JACink

Nice! Congratulations! (Well worth no knowing who the Def Cats are :D)
  3. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

Love the color!! Congratulations!
  4. JFOC

JFOC

Happy NBD! love that green-burst...
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Great story. Nice bass! Congrats on all counts.
  6. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

LOL on Def Cats. I can understand the pressure of the moment though. Nice bass!
  7. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

Absolutely lovely bass and it's in my favorite color. Now I know who the Def Cats are. Love that story. Fun to memorialize the bass with it.

It' like I always say, "who knew? And, if who knew, then why didn't who say something?"
  8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I remember that show. (I record and watch Jeopardy! every day.) Congrats! Now you have two great stories stemming from one!
  9. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Very NIce bass and cool story and not a bad way o get a new bass either.. ConCats!!! HAHA
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

+1, great story -- got a nice chuckle out of Def Cats. Also, sweet bass. Most of all, congrats for making it onto an episode of Jeopardy, that is an impressive accomplishment!
  11. elgecko

elgecko

Def Cats! :hyper:

You saved me the trouble! :p
  12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Excellent, congrats! Beautiful bass. Also, the story of Def Cats is funny. One question: have you learned the Jeopardy theme on your new bass yet??
  13. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Thats a SWEET looking bass....Congrats
  14. remainthesame

remainthesame

ill bite. who are def cats?
  15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Great story and great bass!! Congrats!!
  16. electracoyote

electracoyote

I always liked this model. I really dig the personalization, even the finish. Congrats, enjoy!
  17. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Great bass and great story congrats.
  18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

My next band, I guess....
  19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Def Cats would be a cool name for a band!

Anyway, nice bass and congrats. SBs are really very nice!
  20. Basshappi

Basshappi

Congrats, the bass looks awesome!

And just for you: :D

Yeah, I went there.