1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD! The most beautiful ibanez ive ever seen

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Wiz, Jan 24, 2014.

1. The Wiz

The Wiz

For the last few months there has been this ibanez sr505 at my local guitar center that has been hanging untouched at the very top row. I always saw it up there and always noticed how strikingly beautiful the burled poplar top was but i was always deterred by the fact that it was an ibanez. Ive always been driven away from ibanez basses just because they seemed like they were aimed at metal dudes which although i dabble, has never really been my thing. So a couple of days ago I was in guitar center and couldnt find a single bass that really stood out to me. I got bored and was about to leave when i thought, "hmm this ibanez has been in here for months and ive never so much as touched it. I should give it a chance." So i had an employee get it down for me and as soon as it was in my hands i new it was "the one". It felt like the neck was perfectly shaped to fit my hand. I plugged it in and was blown away by the bartolini mk-1's (no surprise there) and the tonal diversity of the bass. Not to mention, its the first bass ive ever seen at guitar center that was perfectly set up with low action. I put it on layaway and picked it up today and, im equally as blown away as when i played it the other day. The quality is what is most impressive to me, there isnt a single flaw. Plus it only cost $490 dollars which i think is a steal! And of course, heres a picture of my new baby :)
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390618537.400979.jpg
  2. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I'm not an Ibanez kind of guy....but that is one of the most stunning basses that I have seen. If it plays and sounds good, then you definitely got a steal.
  3. LightGroove

LightGroove

Good for you..nothing like finding ..the one...now go play the hell out of it and let us know how she does...
  4. Bread Knife

Bread Knife

That looks great! Congratulations!
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yep.
  6. The Wiz

The Wiz

Thanks everybody!
  7. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Ohhhh, nice!
  8. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Congrats, it is stunning!
  9. Turtle71

Turtle71

Wow, she's a beauty!

I've had 2 SR505's (2008 & 2005) both of mine were the usual brown finish over mahogany, they played awesome!

At $490 that is a steal! :bassist:
  10. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn! Supporting Member

Congrats on that gorgeous Ibanez,Wiz!

You weren`t kidding when you described the burl. :eek: The finish,body shape and color just scream Expensive Custom Bass!!. Ueber-cool that she`s so perfect for you! The perfect set-up at a GC is a fluke though. lol

I happen to be a fan of those "skinny" Ibanez necks(small hands).Used to have a ca 98/99 Ergodyne EDC-700(model #?) I won from a TB sponsored contest,btw.

I recently snagged a lightly-used 92/93 Ibanez EXB404 online for under a C-note. Way to go!

Hos
  11. bassbenj

bassbenj

I AM an Ibanez kind of guy and I just WISH my plain old black paint SR506 looked like that! As the saying goes: If it plays good, sounds good and looks good it IS GOOD!!

(In my case two out of three will have to do)

Congrats!
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

It looks like the amber version of a 655 PB I used to have:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  13. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I didn't know an SR505 came with that (burl?) top wood? It has the mid-freq switch so I'm pretty sure that makes it a 2010 or newer. Ibanez make some real nice basses.

Excellent score OP - it's gorgeous!
  14. Bredian

Bredian

Ibanez makes a wonderful instrument at many price points... I borrow my son's SR280 often to back up or in place of my Precision Lyte... its similar in weight, the neck is jazz narrow and the balance is a little better, bringing my left hand a little closer... which would make it easier to handle, like a shorter scale would do, but at 34".

I just dropped off his SR500 at the tech shop for a set up, new nut, etc.... it sounds nicer with the Bartolini pups,

You def made out with that finish... nice price
  15. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Gorgeous congrats
  16. Nobody

Nobody

Nice score! Ibanez makes great easy on the hands basses.... I love 'em.
  17. mfbolton

mfbolton Freelance Bassist Supporting Member

Beautiful top, Congrats!
  18. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

+1... I don't own any Ibbys at the moment, but probably will again - I've owned atleast 20 of them, and they've never disappointed...

- georgestrings
  19. Rabidrasbora

Rabidrasbora Supporting Member

Great bass at a great price!
  20. Reddog01

Reddog01

Hey Wiz - that wouldn't be the bass that was at the GC in Round Rock, Texas would it?