NBD! Tobias Growler

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cybersnyder, Dec 21, 2013.

1. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Picked up a 2 switch Growler at Guitar Center tonight for a pretty good price. This is a really fun bass. Almost put it back because it's green, but brought it home, cleaned it and put new strings on it and it's rockin'! I may refinish it. It's very, very green.

2. LagBox

LagBox

Is it this green?

[​IMG]

3. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Nah, I guess it's not *that* green. :p:p:p

4. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Just on feel alone this bass is very well balanced. It's 8 1/2 lbs, but feels like 7. Very easy to get around on the fretboard - I pulled out a tape measure to verify that it was 34" and not 32".

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mtnman

Mtnman

Congrats on what is probably a great bass. I've had my 2 switch Growler since I bought it new around 1997 and although I've owned other basses since, I will ALWAYS own my Growler and it will always be my favorite to play. The asym neck, wide string spacing and flat(ish) fingerboard radius make for a great feeling bass and with the Bart pre and quad coil pickup, you can dial in a very wide variety of usable tones.

The only caveat (and the reason I said probably) is some of them had some neck stability issues. I got lucky. My neck is stable as can be, but I've read a lot of negative reviews.

7. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Growlers are cool.

8. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I'd never take it to a blues gig, but the slap sound is killer.

9. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Gigged the growler yesterday and thought I'd follow up to my NBD post. It is by far the most comfortable bass I've ever played. Everything balances perfectly, stays in place when you let go and is light enough that you could play this thing all night. The reach is very comfortable - I almost feel like I'm playing a short scale or a guitar instead of a 34" scale instrument. The asymetric neck is very comfortable to me, I know some people don't care for it.

Downsides, I really need to get used to the preamp controls. It's very easy to get a deep, muddy sound and easy to get a bright slap sound. I need to figure out the right settings to get the fingerstyle tone that I'm used to.

I think my dream bass now is a Growler body and neck but with passive J pickups and a Sadowsky or Aguilar preamp.

10. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Has anyone played a Growler and a Warmoth Gecko bass? Wondering how similar they are since the Warmoth also has an asymmetrical neck.