1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: US Peavey content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ronbeast, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

This was kind of an unexpected new bass day, But I think it all worked out in the end. I really wasn't expecting to stumble upon this bass in the local pawn shop, and I definitely wasn't expecting to buy it. So, Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a 1994 Peavey Fury, all original and very clean.

I was surprised to see it in my local pawn shop because I honestly haven't seen any American Peavey's around here. Also, this shop is known to gouge people A LOT on prices, but this was a pretty good deal. I managed to score this 9.0/10 condition Peavey Fury for $140 CAD taxes in.

When I first looked at it, I thought it was kind of rough, but later I realized it was just some dirt and grime that got stuck on the finish and hardware over time (I smell smoke on the bass, so I assume it came from a smoking household). It still needs a little cleaning, but with all of the dirt removed, there are no scratches or dents, it's just like it left the production line. The only clues that would give it's true age away are a little bit of fret wear and some microscopic pitting on the chrome tuners. There aren't even any nicks on the headstock.

I really like the bass, I'm a p-bass guy and just love how they sit in the mix. The tone of this bass is comparable to my parts p-bass that has a Duncan quarter pounder in it, it's really thick and punchy, my favourite! It's fairly light, I'd wager in the range of 8-9 pounds. The neck is amazingly slim and the fretwork is impeccable. Overall, this is a real players bass and a great p-style bass.

I've still got a bit of clean-up to do, like polish all of the chrome, but everything else is in perfect working order and it seems as though someone only played this bass a few times before it ended up in a case again.

Sorry for the grainy pics and the bad lighting. I hope to get better pics soon. Thanks for reading!
  2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

$140C is a nice deal. That bass looks great!
  3. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I had a chance to play the bass for a while longer, it sounds great too!

I also need some advice on what to use to clean the chrome. I assume that a regular automotive chrome polish will do the trick?
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Automotive chrome polish will work perfectly. I use Simichrome.

[​IMG]
  5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

New peavey day all around, i just got this one in the mail
    [​IMG]

Congrats on the Fury!
  6. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

7. pudgychef

pudgychef

nice score! Congrats
  8. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

9. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

You can't beat Peavey this is one company I will always root for my T-45 is one of my favorites just great stuff.
  10. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Hmmm. So the Fury sounds good with the stock pick ups? How thin a neck compared to a standard or special fender p? I've seen the Fury and around cg down here but never tried one out. It looks like a beauty, congrats.

fnord!
  11. oldrookie

oldrookie

Very nice basses! Love my Fury.
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Furys have thin necks. Considerably narrower than any Standard or Special Pbass.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I love a Fury. Those skinny Peavey necks are heaven.
  14. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

The neck is a lot thinner than any bass I have used before, im a p bass guy.

Anybody know what the body wood is on this bass?
  15. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I would venture to guess poplar.
  16. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Congrats! I love black 'n maple and I love my Fury (which happens to be all black).

You totally scored on the bass and the price!
  17. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

Anybody know if peavey has a manual online for their microtilt neck adjustment screw? Ive setup a lot of basses before but none with the microtilt. I just don't want to strip the screw.
  18. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

Yes they do. Instructions start on page 2.

The Cliff Notes version- detune the strings a few steps, loosen the neck bolts, turn the micro-tilt, tighten back up, tune up. Lather, rinse, repeat until it feels good to you.
  19. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I thought that was as much as there was to it, its just nice to confirm.
  20. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Nice one....love my Fury. My backup at last weekend's show...posing on the right after sound check.

[​IMG]