NBD - USA Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by georgestrings, Sep 14, 2013.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I got my 2nd USA Peavey bass a couple of days ago - a Foundation 5... My 1st was a Fury, which I flipped and got my money back on - it was a decent instrument, but just didn't do anything for me... In short, it had a straight, solid neck - with great fretwork - but the rest was pretty cheap, and the neck was even thinner than my Jazz necks...

Like the Fury, this Foundation 5 has great fretwork - they really had that down back then - and just like the Fury, this bass won't need a trip to my luthier for any fret leveling... The nut will get replaced, though - the string gaps aren't all that uniform... The neck pocket isn't any tighter than a typical Fender - I needed to shift the neck slightly to center the strings, but it's good to go now... It sounds really good - the factory pups are plenty hot, and give a good range of tones - no need to upgrade anything there... The hardware is all pretty good - atleast up to MIM Fender standards, if not slightly better - but still not up to MIA Fender standards, IMO... The tuner for the D string is pretty banged up, but that's no fault of Peavey's...

It's a bit lighter than the EBMM 5ers I have - not light enough to feel "cheap", though - just about right, actually... It balances well, and has very good ergonomics... Nut width is the same as my EBMMs, string spacing at the bridge is a bit tighter... In short, it will make a very capable backup to my EBMM 5ers - and is an outstanding value for the $150 I paid for it...

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  2. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

what a bargain !! nice one.
  3. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

You got a great deal. I really like mine for all the reasons you mentioned, but narrow nut width and bridge spacing make a huge difference for my small hands.
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Thanks - I had been watching for one, and they generally go for $200 and up... The width at the nut is just right for me, but I wish the string spacing at the bridge was a little greater - more like my EBMMs would be perfect... I might change out the bridge to fix that - we'll see...

- georgestrings
  5. Register to disable this ad