1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD - USA Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by georgestrings, Sep 14, 2013.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I got my 2nd USA Peavey bass a couple of days ago - a Foundation 5... My 1st was a Fury, which I flipped and got my money back on - it was a decent instrument, but just didn't do anything for me... In short, it had a straight, solid neck - with great fretwork - but the rest was pretty cheap, and the neck was even thinner than my Jazz necks...

Like the Fury, this Foundation 5 has great fretwork - they really had that down back then - and just like the Fury, this bass won't need a trip to my luthier for any fret leveling... The nut will get replaced, though - the string gaps aren't all that uniform... The neck pocket isn't any tighter than a typical Fender - I needed to shift the neck slightly to center the strings, but it's good to go now... It sounds really good - the factory pups are plenty hot, and give a good range of tones - no need to upgrade anything there... The hardware is all pretty good - atleast up to MIM Fender standards, if not slightly better - but still not up to MIA Fender standards, IMO... The tuner for the D string is pretty banged up, but that's no fault of Peavey's...

It's a bit lighter than the EBMM 5ers I have - not light enough to feel "cheap", though - just about right, actually... It balances well, and has very good ergonomics... Nut width is the same as my EBMMs, string spacing at the bridge is a bit tighter... In short, it will make a very capable backup to my EBMM 5ers - and is an outstanding value for the $150 I paid for it...

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  2. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

what a bargain !! nice one.
  3. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

You got a great deal. I really like mine for all the reasons you mentioned, but narrow nut width and bridge spacing make a huge difference for my small hands.
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Thanks - I had been watching for one, and they generally go for $200 and up... The width at the nut is just right for me, but I wish the string spacing at the bridge was a little greater - more like my EBMMs would be perfect... I might change out the bridge to fix that - we'll see...

- georgestrings