1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD! Vintage Klira

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oerk, Nov 26, 2012.

1. oerk

oerk

So, my awesome sister-in-law gave me this for my birthday - the bass version of the then-popular Klira Triumphator (I don't know if the bass had a different name, couldn't find anything on the web).

Objectively, this is low end, even for german instruments from the 60's.

Action is pretty high for today's standards, but it makes up for it with medium scale, a tiny neck and very narrow string spacing. I have cleaned the electronics so far, adjusted the neck, and moved the bridge for (almost) correct intonation. I think I will try a neck shim, it looks like it can go lower than my Hofner 185.

It even sounds better than my Hofner. Just solid 60ies beat thumpiness, but surprisingly bright. Strings are medium scale flats, and I'm almost certain they're more than 40 years old. No need to change, they're perfectly fine.

I will definitely gig this one.

[​IMG]
  2. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

Funky goodness!
  3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

That looks like a real man cave.
  4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Lindsey Basses - maker of XBass cables
    My first (of sooo many :) ) basses - paid $77.50 (no case - all I had less bus fare :))

[​IMG]
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

This model of Klira was their 562(I) Arkansas. They're were 2 versions of of the 562. Yours was the first made in 1965. The second version was introduced in 1966. It had a tulip styled body.

Enjoy.

TD
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

That looks really cool
  7. wilfred

wilfred

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. JacobWhaler

JacobWhaler

Nice! sick bass![​IMG]
  9. keith christian

keith christian

Very cool bass! When you shim the neck and lower the action, that should fix the intonation too. I have a Framus with the same pick-up.I think it's a Schaller.
  10. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Hoyer, Klira, Framus and Hofner all used Schaller pickups back in the 60's on their electric instruments.

TD
  12. oerk

oerk

It is! :D

Wow, nice!

Thanks for the info, that means a lot to me! So it's almost certainly a '65? I've been able to date my Hofner to late '63 - turns 50 next year, and this one isn't far away...

Is there a place on the web with info on these basses?

Oh, the intonation is fixed - as in, the bridge was fixed before, and I've fixed it now :D I've drilled out the rivets (?) holding the bridge, and made it a floating one. I've moved it a bit to the back, E side slightly further away than the G side, and got pretty good intonation on all four strings on the first try.
  13. oerk

oerk

Here's a pic of the Hofner I'm comparing the Klira to:

[​IMG]