1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD! Vintage Univox "coily" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistjoe93, Feb 10, 2013.

1. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

I just picked up this sweet circa 1970 Univox coily bass. All original including the original orange "eco-plush" case and hippy looking strap! The bass itself is in excellent shape, the bridge mute is still there and fully functional. The tuners hold tune perfectly. The bridge cover has a little corrosion and some of the chrome paint is coming off the bridge pickup, but really this could pass for near mint otherwise! This bass sounds amazing, far better than I thought it would! The pickups are fat and beefy and the bridge pickup gets some good Jaco snarl! Now for pics: ImageUploadedByTalkBass1360538447.091827.jpg

Attached Files:

2. bassistjoe93

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

She's gorgeous! Love the finish.
  4. bassistjoe93

I agree, it's just funky enough of a finish that I really like it. It's a head turner and sounds great in a band setting!
  5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Congrats Man, all the best with it! :bassist:
  6. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

Nice score! My Coily is missing the cover, mute, and little wooden plate on the wire part of the bridge, but it is still a great bass... Shouldn't sound as good as it does, and kills in the band!

Congrats!

-robert
  7. bassistjoe93

I can't imagine myself ever needing to use the mutes, but they are pretty cool looking! The only thing is, the original owner that I bought it from smoked like a chimney and the case and bass both reek. I can hardly smell due to a condition I have, but I couldn't hardly stand being around it! So now I'm looking for ways to get cigarette smoke out of a bass and plush case.
  8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

Cool score. Nothing like scoring a killer vintage Japanese bass like this. You're sure to stand out on stage with such an uncommon bass like this.:)
  9. bassistjoe93

Yeah man, I got tons of compliments on the tone and looks when I played it out for the first time yesterday! Though, I didn't get near as lucky on this deal as you seem to get on your gear! :D
  10. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

I love the Coily. Borrowed one a couple of years ago - really like the mute design.
  11. FrednBass

FrednBass

I envy you right now.

Congrats!
  12. bassistjoe93

It is pretty great for some old school thump, which I don't have much use for at the moment unfortunately. My only complaint is that the foam pad has aged and the strings have formed such deep grooves in the pads that the metal lip hits the strings and throws everything way sharp! Gotta re-foam it!
  13. bassistjoe93

Thanks! It's a heck of a bass for $300. I'd rather play this than most other basses I could get for around $300 these days.
  14. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Re-foam!! What I like about this mute is that it's really easy to engage/disengage while you're playing - just flip the little lever. I don't know why this design never caught on.
  15. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Very cool!! I kinda want one now....
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool score. Congrats!
  17. Established1966

Established1966

Interested in selling?
  18. FrednBass

FrednBass

What a gorgeous bass.