1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Warwick Alien

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quaff1, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

Hi all - never thought I'd buy an Acoustic Bass but was at a friends place a couple of months ago and he had a couple of acoustics including a bass and we sat in his kitchen and jammed for hours. It was a great time - so GAS immediately set in and I started searching for the right bass for me.

I tried everything I could get my hands on here in Canada.

Ibanez - too quiet, barely louder than an electric
    Fender - didn't like the tone
    Beaver Creek - super loud but very clanky
    Takemine - the best of the lot in terms of tone, feel and volume

I also discovered that in general acoustics tend to be very clanky - and as I hit pretty hard anyway I decided to go fretless.

This limited my choices dramatically but as soon as I saw the Alien I knew it was the one.

I went for the Alien Rockbass Deluxe which is the mid-priced model - which is perfect for what I will be using it for. Its a little more expensive than other options but you can definitely tell the difference.

There's not a lot of info on these basses here at TB and it appears that acoustics don't get a a lot of love here in general - but I have to say I am pretty impressed with this bass.

Its loud, has great tone, decent electronics, sounds even better plugged in and the fit and finish is top notch - I am picky and I can find nothing wrong, lacking or cheap on this bass.

[​IMG]

2. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Bet it's great bass. Don't be afraid to play around with strings too, generally stock acoustic-bronze strings are the primary 'clank' culprit.

3. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

Thanks - anything you'd recommend?

4. sirsam22

sirsam22

I put some nylon tapewounds on my a/e Aria, and I love them. I feel like it gives me a slightly deeper voiced uprightish tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Yeah, if you're going for a thump/upright tone with good volume, I'd go LaBella White Nylon Tapewounds, and them on my Boulder Creek fretless and absolutely loved them.

If you wanna stick wit the traditional acoustic bronze 'zing', I would go with the Tomastik Acousticores. That said, I would go for an upright/Labella sound, haha.

7. justjake

justjake

+1 on the tapewounds

8. bikingbassist

bikingbassist

Would there be much volume loss with the tapes when unplugged? I got one of these guys pretty recently and have yet to experiment with different strings.

I really like the Alien, now I can play all the Violent Femmes my heart desires.

9. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

I'm a Warwick fan and own a Ltd edition model. I played an Alien a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I would probably stick with the bronze wounds on it - although you may not have a lot of options. With some EQ and a good compressor I bet it'll sound great

10. Love mine, if you are looking for more of an upright tone then by all means go with tape wounds. If you are more interested in blending in with acoustic guitars I would stay with the bronze wounds. I have used several brands of the bronzes and the Warwicks really stand out to me.

[​IMG]

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

11. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I'm dying to own one of these... But it likely wont be for another year or two.

12. pgolliher

pgolliher

Flat wounds are a good mid point between the clanky bronze and quite tape wounds . They are totally extremes.

13. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Congrats on the new bass!

I have a Warwick Alien 5... I play Dean Markley Blue Steels on all of my electrics, and I put the Blue Steel nickels on the Alien...works great for me!

I have also tried the black tape LaBellas (too dark for me on this bass), and I'm planning to try the white tapes next. I have the whites on my Rick Turner Renaissance 5 fretted, and like them a lot. In case you can't tell, I not really a fan of flats, but in my opinion, flats would make this bass nearly unusable, at the very least it would kill the volume acoustically. :bag:

[​IMG]

14. Apolicious

Apolicious

Beautiful bass!

As a side note, can anyone here compare this to the old Tacoma Thunderchief's? The pre-Fender fretless is my white whale.