NBD - Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$ 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vishuddha, Mar 27, 2014.

1. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Hey guys! So I recently ordered the Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$ 5-string (http://www.zzounds.com/item--WRWRBDB5) on a whim, and when I did a little bit more research here, I thought I had made a huge mistake.

Immediately after pulling the bass out of the box, my worries were alleviated. This thing feels SOLID. The fretboard doesn't look like cheap rosewood (I hate light-colored rosewood and was especially worried about how it would look in real life), the output is great for being passive, and the action was perfect. It's a BEAUTIFUL bass and it feels SICK. The grain looks really tasteful and there wasn't a mark on it.

Also, the coil taps are really cool and make a pretty noticeable difference, although I will probably just leave them in one position.

I figured I'd post this because there weren't a lot of solid reviews on these... seemed to be a lot of confusion between these and the older, crappy Rockbasses.

It feels awesome to play... the distance from the thumb placement on the pickup to the strings feels ideal and playing with fingers just feels downright euphoric. FWIW, I did a few little runs with a pick and it felt very comfortable.

In short, I was terrified that I was going to be disappointed by this thing. I was considering leaving it in the box and immediately selling it when it came in because I couldn't find much about the new ones from other TBers... but for being a sub-$1000 bass, I am blown away. It's worth every penny.

My Carvin BX1600 is coming in next week... if there is any interest, I will try to review that as well.

Thanks! Sorry for the picture quality... I'm not a good photographer by any means.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

Thanks for posting. I have been considering one of these myself lately. I've played a few and the quality for price ratio seems really good to me.

3. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Congrats on a good score!

I absolutely loved my Rockbass Corvette, but it was just too large of a neck (it was one of the newer ones too). The tone on those is fantastic and IIRC it's the same hardware and electronics as the German ones. Definitely an awesome deal if you ask me. I miss the tone sooo much and how beautifully they are made.

Glad you like yours! Post some sound or video clips if you get a chance, I'd love to hear one played by a fellow TB'er! :bassist:

4. vishuddha

Thanks, guys! I definitely do not regret the purchase but I can see why you might not like the neck...

I will be sure to make a video clip... if I can put something together that doesn't embarrass me. Hahaha. Too many great players on this site that make me look like an amateur... don't expect anything particularly impressive!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

I nearly purchased one earlier this year. What is the string spacing at the bridge?

7. Tbone76

Tbone76

I'm digging the trans black! I just bought a trans red $$-4 about 3 weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. It's almost a blood red color. Built like a tank, and it sounds different than my P or J basses. Slap is a little more difficult because of the pup locations, but it's not a deal breaker. I did have to tighten up all of the tuning hardware, as the tuning post nuts were loose, but it was a 5 minute job. Congrats!

8. vishuddha

I believe it's 16.5mm but I am not 100% sure on that. Feels like it.

TBone - congrats! It really is totally different animal. I have an ATK and this is on the other side of the spectrum, for sure. I did also notice that there were some loose screws on mine as well, but they were the pup screws. I guess that must be a prevalent thing. Slapping is kind of weird on these but I am sure we will get used to it.

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Congrats! Great looking bass.

10. vishuddha

Thank you!

11. Tbone76

Tbone76

Enjoy that bad boy! Tons of tones are available between the 2 volumes, 2 series/parallel switches, and the tone control. It really does cop a lot of great sounds. I've been digging the bridge pup solo'd with the tone at about 50%. It growls nicely there. I also don't mind the neck profile. It feels a little bigger than my p bass, but I have bigger hands so it isn't a problem. There's also a good tutorial on Youtube that goes thru adjusting the 3-d bridge, if you aren't familiar with it. The bridge allows for individual string spacing. My neck is adjusted almost straight, and I have just about 2mm of distance between the 24th fret and the E string.

12. vishuddha

Oh, awesome! I had no idea you could adjust the string spacing individually... that's awesome! Thanks for the recommendation on the pup control... I've never done the push-pull switches so I am kind of lost! Haha. I do love the neck profile, personally.

13. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Here is my brand new Fortress 5 in Burgundy Red. Love it so far.

Shaun

Attached Files:

14. vishuddha

That's sick, dude! The Fortress is honestly one of the coolest shaped basses ever, IMHO. I was going to order one but they were backordered so I said to just ship me the Corvette... You're making me regret not waiting. Hahaha. Congrats!

15. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Thanks Man! Your Vette looks awesome in Black.

Shaun