1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD Wife's Xmas gift - Squier Katana bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Dec 28, 2012.

1. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

My wife's Christmas gift arrived today. I didn't know what the item would be, only that it would be "pointy". She got me a Squier Katana bass. I've looked it over. For a 1985 bass, it looks good but it's not fully original. The original bridge was replaced at some point and it looks as though the body was sanded down to stain & varnish. It looks ok from the front, but one dried varnish drip shows on the back, near the cavity panel. Overall, it just needs to be wiped down, cleaned up & new strings.

Play-wise, it's basically a "V" shaped P-Bass. It's got a real sweet slapping spot just ahead of the pickup. The strings are dead but slapping that sweet spot still brings out some nice harmonics. I bet it'll sound killer when I put a set of new strings on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. smogg

smogg

Nice, now you have to learn some Def Leopard to go with it. :bassist:

3. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Rocket! Yeah! Satellite of love! lol

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very cool congrats

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. amimbari

amimbari

oh that's cute :)

ooops I meant cool. :bag:

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

8. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

9. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

They are getting rare.
    Nice find.

I always think of that bass when people say, Why doesn't Fender ever come out with something different?

10. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

And at that, Fender Japan made it. I suppose I'll have to track down a Fender Performer now, but they're usually on the slight expensive side.

11. poomwah

poomwah

TOTALLY cool, congrats :]

12. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Hahahaha. This made me laugh.

Never knew such a Squier existed. Nice to know its as old as I am and has a few touch ups too. :D Sweet gift!

13. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

lol @ "as old as I am" - Other TB'ers, including myself are older than '85. Haha!

I will reserve this bass for a Def Leppard tune. lol

14. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Noodling around with this bass a little longer. It's becoming apparent the neck is much heavier than the body. I already have the strap up high. I'll have to find a way to counter the weight somehow. For the time being, I've taken to resting the elbow of my plucking arm on the top body wing. That's working a bit, but I will have to come up with something more useful in the long run.

15. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

So you "old timers" really know how cool things were in '85. ;) I know, I know I am a youngin, I get warm and fuzzy nostalgic feelings for the mid 90s. Haha :D Its a cool thing that Squiers were good and unique back then. I am happy they have come around now. If it was like it was in my high school days I wouldnt have the signature I do. :bag:

16. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Haha that is very cool! Really unique instrument. Wives who buy basses are awesome :-D

17. amimbari

amimbari

my Takamine pointy was made in 85. ( and ended in 85 ) :cool:

18. bootsox

bootsox

you'll put your eye out with that one

19. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Wow. Hard to believe that's a product of Fender. Congrats on the find, your wife is really cool.
    Another bass that no one talks about is the Squier HM5 - there are two on eBay now for under $200.

20. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Yes, as an added bonus wives that allow us to continue playing bass and letting us buy one here and there are also awesome!

21. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Thanks! Wow, until reading your post, I was unaware of the HM5. Very interesting.