1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD Wife's Xmas gift - Squier Katana bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Dec 28, 2012.

1. My wife's Christmas gift arrived today. I didn't know what the item would be, only that it would be "pointy". She got me a Squier Katana bass. I've looked it over. For a 1985 bass, it looks good but it's not fully original. The original bridge was replaced at some point and it looks as though the body was sanded down to stain & varnish. It looks ok from the front, but one dried varnish drip shows on the back, near the cavity panel. Overall, it just needs to be wiped down, cleaned up & new strings.

Play-wise, it's basically a "V" shaped P-Bass. It's got a real sweet slapping spot just ahead of the pickup. The strings are dead but slapping that sweet spot still brings out some nice harmonics. I bet it'll sound killer when I put a set of new strings on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
    Nice, now you have to learn some Def Leopard to go with it. :bassist:

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Rocket! Yeah! Satellite of love! lol

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Very cool congrats

6. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    oh that's cute :)

ooops I meant cool. :bag:

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
  8. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    They are getting rare.
    Nice find.

I always think of that bass when people say, Why doesn't Fender ever come out with something different?

9. And at that, Fender Japan made it. I suppose I'll have to track down a Fender Performer now, but they're usually on the slight expensive side.

10. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    TOTALLY cool, congrats :]

11. Hahahaha. This made me laugh.

Never knew such a Squier existed. Nice to know its as old as I am and has a few touch ups too. :D Sweet gift!

12. lol @ "as old as I am" - Other TB'ers, including myself are older than '85. Haha!

I will reserve this bass for a Def Leppard tune. lol

13. Noodling around with this bass a little longer. It's becoming apparent the neck is much heavier than the body. I already have the strap up high. I'll have to find a way to counter the weight somehow. For the time being, I've taken to resting the elbow of my plucking arm on the top body wing. That's working a bit, but I will have to come up with something more useful in the long run.

14. So you "old timers" really know how cool things were in '85. ;) I know, I know I am a youngin, I get warm and fuzzy nostalgic feelings for the mid 90s. Haha :D Its a cool thing that Squiers were good and unique back then. I am happy they have come around now. If it was like it was in my high school days I wouldnt have the signature I do. :bag:

15. Haha that is very cool! Really unique instrument. Wives who buy basses are awesome :-D

16. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    my Takamine pointy was made in 85. ( and ended in 85 ) :cool:

17. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    you'll put your eye out with that one

18. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Wow. Hard to believe that's a product of Fender. Congrats on the find, your wife is really cool.
    Another bass that no one talks about is the Squier HM5 - there are two on eBay now for under $200.

19. Yes, as an added bonus wives that allow us to continue playing bass and letting us buy one here and there are also awesome!

20. Thanks! Wow, until reading your post, I was unaware of the HM5. Very interesting.