1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: With Problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twc1313, Dec 18, 2013.

1. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

In my ever-growing love affair with SBMM, I decided to pick up a S.U.B. Ray4 in black/maple....here it is next to my Ray34CA

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Heres the problem, I like the SUB better than the Ray34ca...am I mad? Cheap? Poor taste? What is wrong withe me???!!??

Pros of SUB
    1. lighter
    2. body curves
    3. maple board
    4. More punch or snarl
    5. $$$
    6. notched eq
    7. eq more like a "modern ray"

Pros of RayCa

1. It's green

Cons of RayCA

1. Hate the 2-band eq and the no notch knobs, my OCD needs that midpoint, that knowing of where it is

Both have brand new strings on them, both played through same amps.

I used to have a Ray34 (the 3band) and looking back I think I preferred the tone of that one more as well.

I think i'm commiting TB heresy here by preferring a cheaper bass, and preferring the 3band eq to the 2band ray eq....the shame.

So now what do I do? Talk some frakin sense into me.
  2. aparker82

aparker82 Supporting Member

Trade the Ray34CA for a Ray34 :)
  3. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

or sell the CA, get another SUB in walnut satin, and some pickups for my jazz bass
  4. nashman

nashman

"love the one you're with"
  5. Tbone76

Tbone76

Play what you like. Who cares about the price! Why not string 1 with flats, or tune it differently than the other. No need to get rid of 1 or the other.
  6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I'm with you. My import SUB Sterling is crazy fun to play, more fun than my US SUB StingRay (tho overall the StingRay feels like a better bass).
  7. Doctor J

Doctor J

If the Sterling has an EQ like a "real" Stingray, then there is no midpoint, the EQ is boost only. All the way down is as flat as you can get, everything from there is you boosting highs and lows.
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Only on TalkBass is having 2nice basses a 'problem'.
  9. wvbass

wvbass

I hear you. My Sub Ray5 stacks up very well against any bass I own. Tastes vary, especially with regards to scale length, string spacing, and tone, and I had to deal with some fret sprout,but these Subs are something special.
  10. xrockstrongox

xrockstrongox

It is a problem - mostly because it's not 3.:bassist:
  11. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

There is no real problem. Play the one you like until you miss the other one, repeat.