1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

NBD (@work edition) Fender MIJ Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    I got my tax refund the other day so naturally I had to spend some of it. I had it delivered to my job. I don't know how I'm gonna get through the next 6 and a half hours. I may come down with a sudden belly ache. I shoulda brought my little ampeg plug in headphone amp. Looks like it has SCN pickups. This is an E-series, right? They're supposed to be great? Looks good. Smells a little funny. Awesome case. I wanna go home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gorn Captain

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    It looks like the board may have been epoxied at some point and it was mostly removed? It feels smooth to the touch though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

Nov 12, 2013
    Virginia
    You do sound like you're coming down with something. It might be best to go home. :)

This is an AMAZING bass. Congrats, I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

5. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Love the maple grain

6. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    mine smells weird too, like someone chucked some pepper in an ashtray and rubbed it on the neck...looks great!! Enjoy it!

7. Gorn Captain

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    That's what it smells like!

I just tuned it to something close to EADG by ear, and it seems whatever that stuff is on the board doesn't affect the sound at all. I'm a happy camper.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Beautiful congrats and I think it's time for an intervention whenever I see NBD I immediately think of you. :)

9. Gorn Captain

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    I have a problem. Admitting it is the first step.

But, I'm working overtime this weekend to make up the difference so I don't feel so bad.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    You've been snagging some real gems those E-series basses are phenomenal.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You need somebody to phone in and say a relative died? ;)

Your are really waffling on the whole fretless thing, huh?

Looks like a nice bass, I really like the grain on the fretboard. Now, like I said last time, when is it getting coated with epoxy and some rounds? :D

12. Gorn Captain

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    I'm a waffler.

It'll get coated when I can find someone who'll do it. I stink at grownup work.

I got a set of Dean Markley SR2000's that I was planning on putting on it, but I'm really digging these GHS flats (if that's what they are). I still can't plug it in till I get home so we'll see.

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Definitely pay a pro to do it! I de-fretted a neck once, that part was easy. The epoxy was a long struggle to my final defeat. I had a hell of a time getting a proper radius on the neck. I might try it again one day, but probably not. Thankfully, I received the mangled bass as payment for playing a gig on short notice, so I really was not out much.

14. Gorn Captain

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    Finally! A jazz bass with no ugly routing so it can go pickguardless. The only problem is the screw holes are a bit wonky and the wood underneath is showing. I need to clean it up, but what do you all think? Leave it off?
    [​IMG]

15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    Disclosures:
    I like turtles.
    Low-tech solution - a bit of black sharpie in the screw holes should make them pretty invisible from more than a couple of feet away.

Definitely stick with the PG-less look.

16. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    or just black screws, I have some, if you wanna take the F out to Brooklyn:D

17. Gorn Captain

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    Kind of you to offer. I'll probably take the sharpie route.

18. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    another vote for guard off with black screws
    gives the clean guardless look with a subtle nod to the guard, silhouette style

19. Or just go to a black pickguard.

20. I ply or b/w/b guard would look good. ( or tort )

I have SCNs in one of my Fretless jazz with a series / parallel pull volume pot and love the sound of this bass.

Glad you 're giving Fretless another go . I love the option of playing frets or no .

21. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY

It looks great without the pg, imo. Congrats! Are the fret dots on the side of the board lined up at the approximate fret point, or in-between like a fretted bass?