1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Xotic XJ-1 5 string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett151, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Garrett151

Garrett151

My new baby came yesterday! She's a black cherry Xotic XJ-1 5 string beast! I do have a few questions I hope some of you can answer...

First, what exactly does the humbucking mode do? When engaged, does it just switch the pickup to series?

Second, what exactly do the mini switches do on the underside? I can't find a lot of info on these.

Finally, how can I determine if the pickups are Fralin or Xotic? Was it always an option or was Fralin default on the earlier ones?

Thanks for the help!

Now here's some iPhone photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I've never been a fan of matching headstocks but it just seems right on this one.)

2. sps500

sps500

Sweet catch..... enjoy!

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Lovely! Congrats on this purchase! :hyper: I wish you a lot of fun with it!

Cheers!

4. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I could be wrong but I think I read a review somewhere that said the pickups were Delanos in an Xotic wood cover

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Congrats on a nice axe. Every bass player deserves to have a NBD every now and then. Enjoy!!

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

In humbucking mode it turns the single coils into one huge sounding humbucker.

One is for mids and one is for highs boost.

From Xotic web site.

Three Band EQ (high, mid, low) boost & cut. Center position produces flat, unaltered sound, with no added tonal coloration.

* Mini Toggle Switch - Use the Switch closer to the headstock to switch the mid-frequencies (400Hz/800Hz), and the other Switch to switch the treble-frequencies (6Hz/12kHz).
    * Pre-set gain control to boost gain by one to three times (located in back panel for easy access).
    * 18V drive is for more headroom, which allows incoming signals to pass through cleanly, without clipping the high-end or low-end frequencies. (Requires two 9V batteries)

Tri-logic 2 Bass Preamp Frequency Specification

SW1 (MidSwitch) : Off/On-@400Hz/800Hz - ±12dB
    SW2 (BrightSwitch) : Off/On-@6KHz/12K - ±18dB

What is the # on the back of the headstock? It's in sticker form

Originally Xotic came stock with Fralins until about a little over a year ago when they started offering Xotic pickups as standard.

I have Fralins in my Xotics.

Xotic endorser.

8. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

9. Garrett151

Garrett151

Thank you! So basically the switches on the inside of the bass select which frequencies are effected by the preamp controls and the switches on the outside (which I don't have) are just boosts?

I believe the serial number is 016

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

Yes and the switches that you see on the front of some the Xotics are the same switches as the ones on the back only placed on the front for more accessibility. The switches on the front came on later models that have been coming out a litle over two years now.

If the bass is all original you have Fralins in it.

11. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen Banned

I have an Xotic XP-1T4, their 4-string P-Bass; it was my recent Birthday present to myself!

IMO, XOTIC is one of the finest builds out there, & mine is easily one of best-sounding instruments I've played.
    Congrats on your J-Bass, I'm betting you'll enjoy it!

12. Garrett151

Garrett151

Okay... so which ones are they? Are they the frequency selectors or frequency boosts? And I lied, the number is 061. Thank you so much for your help!

13. lowstrung5

lowstrung5

They are frequency selectors. You have the older version preamp. You can send it to Xotic to get the upgraded pre and have the switches on the front of the bass if you want.
    If you email them the serial Number, they will let you know what pickups it has. I have one of the older Xj 5 strings that I had changed to the new Version 2 preamp with switches on the front. I also had the HRI option installed. It made a fantastic instrument even better. Check out the videos by John Pena on youtube and you can read more about this at their website. www.xotic.us

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

061= Fralins.

And you're welcome.